MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Just watched The Passion - a Good Friday review.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Just watched The Passion - a Good Friday review..... Reply with quote

Well I didn't expect to enjoy this movie and nor did I expect to be moved so much by the story of Christ's last 12 hours.

Watching it spoken in Aramaenic don't know correct spelling was a great move. I don't think I would have been so moved with a Jesus who speaks in English (possibly with an American accent??) but I digress.

This must be the truest depiction ever of Jesus's cruxification. I don't think it's about tolerance in respect to someone else's criticism in another thread. And I doubt it will fuel self-righteousness.

This film - if you are not Christian/Catholic - will move you as Jesus's faith is amazing. If you are Christian/Catholic, it's the whole basis of the church and your faith will be bolstered.

The violence IS violent but unfortunately that is what happened to the son of God. My mother couldn't watch some of the acts but totally agreed that the movie was amazing and made her feel like she actually witnessed Christ's cruxification. Strong feelings from a religious Catholic....

And even though you know what happens to Christ, the movie still seems to move fast. The acting is superb. The whole film sticks to the story and there is no 'artistic license'.

I rate it an "A".

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just watched The Passion - a Good Friday review..... Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly.

The Peace of the Lord be always with you.

Happy Easter.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just watched The Passion - a Good Friday review..... Reply with quote

Thanks Seismic. Happy Easter to you too.

|Talk Soup |

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just watched The Passion - a Good Friday review..... Reply with quote

Is the film is in subtitles Chis? ......

NEW : RHYTHM CALLED LOVE Video

Down And Dirty Video : BITCH Video : LOOK AT ME Video

Business As Usual . com

Ampcast

Soundclick

Moonfruit

Free Audio Player

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just watched The Passion - a Good Friday review..... Reply with quote

The Aramic and Latin languages made the film, IMHO.

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: I still wont watch it Reply with quote

Yes, I know a great number who were moved. I also know I will be cringing with the violence.

I had a very peaceful mass, and sang my heart out with "were you there" I love that song.

Glad you could sit through it Chris, I know I couldnt.

cheers

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: I still wont watch it Reply with quote

Quote:
The Aramic and Latin languages made the film, IMHO

Totally agree with you Larree.

And yes Paul it's in subtitles but that only adds to the film (spoken by someone who HATES subtitles!! :wgrin )

Debbie; the film wasn't how I expected and yet followed the end of Christ's life. Whether you can sit thru a film or not, it's best not to judge it without seeing it.

My Mother who is very religious - she shut her eyes thru a lot of the violent moments - she especially couldn't watch them put the nails in Jesus's hands and feet, yet she wants to take her brothers and sisters to see the movie.

I think Mel Gibson did a fantastic job. To witness Christ's cruxifiction without any of his suffering would be impossible.

The woman who played his mother Mary - my God - they couldn't have picked a better actress.

This morning I feel this is the most moving and important movie I've ever seen in my life.

|Talk Soup |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: I know Reply with quote

A Hindu friend of ours just called this morning - he was moved by it as well. But he also said it was too too awful. Smashing the crown of thorns down on his head, the carrying of the cross, then he falls on the thorns and on a rock, plus the whipping and poking and lashing. I know you may find it hard to believe, but I dont watch Quentin Tarantino films or any other that I know will be violent. Perhaps I will be moved, but I am already moved my Christ's life and death, and have been through my adult life.

Anyway, I read some books on the crucifixion many years ago - seems its physically impossible for the nails through the hands to support the body -body's too heavy and bones and tissues in the palms too frail - it would tear and the body would come crashing down. Scientists contend that they must've driven the nails though the wrists instead, plus used cords for support.

Then I found this:

www.apu.edu/infocus/2002/03/crucifixion/

They nail His “hands” to the patibulum. The Greek meaning of “hands” includes the wrist. It is more likely that the nails went through Jesus’ wrists. If the nails were driven into the hand, the weight of the arms would cause the nail to rip through the soft flesh.

Therefore, the upper body would not be held to the cross. If placed in the wrist, the bones in the lower portion of the hand support the weight of the arms and the body remains nailed to the cross. The huge nail (seven to nine inches long)2 damages or severs the major nerve to the hand (the median nerve) upon impact. This causes continuous agonizing pain up both of Jesus’ arms.

Once the victim is secured, the guards lift the patibulum and place it on the stipes already in the ground. As it is lifted, Jesus’ full weight pulls down on His nailed wrists and His shoulders and elbows dislocate (Psalm 22:14).3 In this position, Jesus’ arms stretch to a minimum of six inches longer than their original length.

It is highly likely that Jesus’ feet were nailed through the tops as often pictured. In this position (with the knees flexed at approximately 90 degrees),4 the weight of the body pushes down on the nails and the ankles support the weight. The nails would not rip through the soft tissue as would have occurred with the hands. Again, the nail would cause severe nerve damage (it severs the dorsal pedal artery of the foot) and acute pain.

The most telling is:

In order to speak, air must pass over the vocal cords during exhalation. The Gospels note that Jesus spoke seven times from the cross. It is amazing that despite His pain, He pushes up to say “Forgive them” (Luke 23:34).

Like I said, if people for whom it didn't dawn before get the message that Christ died this horrible protracted death for the sake of LOVE and PEACE and FORGIVENESS, then it's well done.

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: I know Reply with quote

Quote:
Christ died this horrible protracted death for the sake of LOVE and PEACE and FORGIVENESS....

Amen, Debbie....and I HEAR ya....

:ily

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: I know Reply with quote

Oh Debbie, I'm sure you're very religious and virtuous and Catholic. I was just surprised that someone as cool as you would judge a film and it's director without seeing it. But that's really my problem so I move on.

The other thing is - they tie his arms to the cross before they stick the nail in his hands and it's been proven that is the way it was done and no it wasn't through his wrist. If one sticks nails through the wrist, the thumb curls up. You can ask any Catholic priest for clarification.

Happy Easter everyone!

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Hey Chris!! Reply with quote

:ily Too!!

:bcool

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: virtuous? me? Reply with quote

I'm as sinful as they come, ahahahaha. I'm a "progressive" catholic - I question and/or ignore much of what the "church" tells us to do - most of it is impractical and a form of control, so they can go stew.

but Chris, the movie is violent. I don't like violence. what more can I say. Can you tell me after having seen it that it isnt violent? :dunno I just cannot stomach watching humans in pain. Perhaps I'm just a poor yellow livered coward at heart concocting other reasons for not seeing it...

Happy to hear they had the good sense to tie up the arms first. Is there anywhere where it says his thumb didn't curl? All we've seen are prettified portraits of Christ on the cross, body intact except for the pierced side, when in reality he was pretty bloody and gruesome. I've been really curious about the science of this since I was a teenager.

Would a catholic priest know if the thumb curls when nails are hammered through the wrist? ewwww whatever will they get up to next...:g

I'd be happy to hear if Mel Gibson is donating any of the profits to a good cause.

And this is commentary: apparently the movie hasn't yet made it to Israel, but there are lots of pirated copies circulating amongst the Palestinians. :hm (do any google search on this...)

I think for the people who are moved by this film thats fantastic; it would unfortunate if a lot of others use it to fuel their own fanaticism though, and I'm not saying they are...

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: virtuous? me? Reply with quote

Yeah I hate subtitles as well ..... I think if ya have to read..... read a book not a film! :lol

Paul

Business As Usual . com

Ampcast

Soundclick

Moonfruit

Free Audio Player

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: subtitles Reply with quote

my Hindu friend who saw the movie said he didnt pay much attention to the subtitles, they were too busy watching the torture, too much going on to keep switching between action and text. So I asked if he got any any message from the movie besides the agony. He said he did, so I spose thats good.

Chris, you never know, after this discussion I MAY be desensitized enough to bring myself to watch it. But you never know, I'm strange like that. heh. :kizz

Seismo and Paul, Hiya! :kizz

:lana

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: subtitles Reply with quote

Hiya Debbie :kizz :)

Paul

Business As Usual . com

Ampcast

Soundclick

Moonfruit

Free Audio Player

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: