MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

British vs. U.S. spelling....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

Believe me, your problems are NOTHING compared to German vs Austrian spelling!!!:aua

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

I'm sure most of you are aware that many English words are spelled differently in the U.S. than in England, or Commonwealth countries...

eg. - grey/gray, odour/odor, etc. etc. etc.....

Lately, I've found myself using U.S. spelling when addressing someone in the States, even though I was educated in the Queen's English.......

It's not an earth-moving issue, but I'm curious if anyone else does that.....

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

I can relate. I have do that too. There are some spellings I refuse to change like the "ou" ones (honour, odour, colour etc), I'm more flexible with the "esses" and "zeds" or "zees in American (eg, organise/organize, recognise/recognize) heh

asia is a complete mix of american and english english, but at the end of the day, I think it is the company "centralised" standard that dictates Word language settings etc.

goonite!

:ww

:muede

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

Try:

there

their

they're

thar (the Southern US spelling!!)

:bcool

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

I recently saw an englishman harshly being spanked by Americans :D , because he posted "defence" and not "defense" :D ...while "defence" is right! :)

Since I know Kate Cassidy, I can tell you that Scottish is one of the hardest english languages/dialects I ever experienced :)

Louisiana slang is nothing compared to that :)

MIKE

sethr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

Spanish is the king of that stuff. The phrase in Colombia meaning-"Will you join me for a cup of coffee?" in Spain means-"Does red wine make you fight?".

There's a bunch of that in Spanish.

"Bocadillo" means candy in Colombia, sandwich in Spain.

A tortilla in Spain is an omelet.

Colombia has funny slang. A "burro" in Colombia is a marijuana smoker.

A "burrero" is a donkey @#%$. But that's a whole other thread.

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

Aquarian... - I was in Germany a short while ago, and some friends gave me a quick primer on German dialect differences.

This was all verbal, mind you, but the same phrase, in (supposedly) the same language, sounded like the speakers came from different Planets.....

It's the same with French. In the rural, remote parts of my province,(Quebec, Canada), they speak a French that would be almost unintelligible in Paris.......(I have some trouble understanding it, myself...)

I find this stuff fascinating......

(niters, SleePea....)

Edited by: droolymutt at: 10/5/03 6:05 pm
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the same with French. In the rural, remote parts of my province,(Quebec, Canada), they speak a French that would be almost unintelligible in Paris.......(I have some trouble understanding it, myself...)

Acadians, better known as Cajuns, or even better known as CoonAsses.... :lol

Scottish Gaelic IS ungodly....if ya don't know it, forget it....

Quote:

Chan eil mi 'nam thidsear don chloinn.

Scottish Gaelic

Any takers??!! ;)

I've threatened to say this many times..... :lol

:bcool

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

Can we all sing "Language is a virus" now?:banana :yo

Netjams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

Ya'll come back now hear :ft

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: HA! Reply with quote

you should tour india. Every state has its own language, and the spoken english is a reflection of it. With some really thick accents you have what it is they're on about, especially since "Indian" english sentences are not in the normal order of subject and object that you'd expect heh. Fantastic. It is really delightful listening to the different accents. Also Indian languages are phonetic, so the common thing is to pronounce english words phonetically, with hilarious results.

But I agree, my uncle is scottish (moms sis' husband) and it is FASCINATING. I just love it all those rolled rrrrrrrrrs... I love the irish accent too - another toughie.

:ww

Jon - always been tickled by beverly hillbillies heh

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: HA! Reply with quote

moanin', Debbers......

off to work you go, m'love......

'tis Monday moanin', yannow.....

here, have some grapes, - to give you courage....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

hey Seth?.....

What would "Caballero" mean in Spanish???...(Canaries.....)

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

A friend called me that recently, and I thought she was calling me a Horse.....

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: British vs. U.S. spelling.... Reply with quote

I remember the first time I heard Scottish people speaking on a news program (I was in the UK at the time) and I look round and said "Are they speaking English?" and everyone laughed hahahahahahahhaa I couldn't make out anything they were saying!! Jill (SOS bassist) is Scottish but her accent is very mild. But I think it's certain areas of Scotland that have thick accents - those are scary! hahahaha

Back to the spelling question - for my US customers I use US spelling and for everyone else I use British spelling. I prefer to get on with people and to make sure everything will go towards the deal/contract happening and focussing on cultural differences in spelling is rather petty. IMHO of course. I don't see any right or wrong in spelling. Just depends where you come from. :banana

Although for some reason I can get annoyed when Chinese people write down my name and suddenly I'm called "Christ" :seismo

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: