MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

HELP! The lunatics are taking over the asylum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> News / Politics / WAR-Zone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

Quote:

Just out of nosy curiousity, which myth and/or theory would you say best accounts for "the earth and us people", Galmin?

Quote:
Right about just any. One is as good as the next.

Since "everything came from nothing" is an intellectually and scientifically invalid conclusion, logic would dictate there is an alternative explanation - be it derived from myth or elsewhere.

And since the truth by it's nature is exclusive, what criteria should be used in determining which ones may be myth and which one may not?

e.g. Troy was assumed to be myth until an amatuer archeologist, Heinrich Schliemann, used Homer's Iliad as his guide to dig it up in 1873.

Arrgh, I just gotta reload my MIA icon...but, I digress....

conalrehill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

"Since "everything came from nothing" is an intellectually and scientifically invalid conclusion, logic would dictate there is an alternative explanation - be it derived from myth or elsewhere."

That sentence is non-sequitur. It makes no sense at all. Logic does not and never will dictate that a generative mechanism for a complex collecton of physical and biological objects can derive from a 'myth'.

No-one nows what preceded the birth of the current space-time continuum. It's a sobering thought that we probably never will. We must not claim to know something when we don't.

Discussions such as these are a waste of time. Or a waste of space-time, perhaps.

The Master68

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

"Ah-ah-ah...the earth and us people had to get here somehow...so one of the things that you're calling a myth obviously isn't or we would not be here to talk about it!"

For all you know, fricking aliens could have landed and deposited humans on Earth...

But, of course, that's utterly ludicrous. We all know this great god made everything in 6 days and took a rest...

--------------

When you argue with a fool, be sure he isn't similarly occupied...

--------------

Music - Organismo Cibernetico (Cybernetic Organism)

The Master68

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: This what you misjudged Mike.. Reply with quote

"We may never know the answer to the question of creation, and claiming to know now is pure fraud."

No, it's pure arrogance and stupidity...

Until someone invents a @#%$ time machine and goes back to see, no one is sure...

--------------

--------------

conalrehill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

"Until someone invents a @#%$ time machine and goes back to see, no one is sure..."

I agree.

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

M68 - "But, of course, that's utterly ludicrous. We all know this great god made everything in 6 days and took a rest... '

DO YOU NOW??? REALLY??? Tell me about it...I'm all ears. And please don't forget that much of both "Genisis" and "The Revelation" are metaphoric...but since you know what you're talking about, that shouldn't be a problem for you, right? ;)

As for aliens:

John. 10-[16] And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Melody and Instruments for the soul...

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: This what you misjudged Mike.. Reply with quote

Quote:
Until someone invents a @#%$ time machine and goes back to see, no one is sure

Maybe so, M68. However we deal with the unknown every day. For some of us it's if the Vikings will ever win a Superbowl, lol!

Human minds have always exchanged ideas and on unknown matters, great and small. As I mentioned, for several thousand years the reality of Troy was unknowable and, in fact, considered just an interesting myth instead.

So I'm just picking Galmin's mind on his personal criteria.

With science and logic ruling out Mundus Ex Nihilo, it certainly leaves plenty room for a Sherlock Holmes maxim: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

"But, of course, that's utterly ludicrous. We all know this great god made everything in 6 days and took a rest"

Yeah! Makes perfect sense. Say didn't he send his son, Mithras, ehh Jesus (sorry, the stories of the two are so alike I keep on mixing them up) the carpenter to save our afterlives?

Edited by: Galmin  at: 12/14/04 9:44
The Master68

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

"DO YOU NOW??? REALLY??? Tell me about it...I'm all ears. And please don't forget that much of both "Genisis" and "The Revelation" are metaphoric...but since you know what you're talking about, that shouldn't be a problem for you, right?"

You don't have to prove that something DIDN'T happen... You have to prove something DID happen.

(Genisis???)

--------------

--------------

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Genesis?? Reply with quote

Ah yes, that group Peter Gabriel sang in before they went downhill.

The Master68

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

No, it's the torpedo used in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan...

--------------

--------------

The Master68

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: This what you misjudged Mike.. Reply with quote

And they fought valiantly against the dark lord of the sith, Lord Vader...

--------------

--------------

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

Many many years from now, people may to pray to Ilúvatar (since some old book, describing the creation have been found in the temple of 'public library').

Ilúvatar is the God...

... Tolkien the prophet...

...and Silmarillion the holy book ;)

Edited by: Galmin  at: 12/14/04 19:05
DreamTone7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

M68 - "You don't have to prove that something DIDN'T happen... You have to prove something DID happen."

Wrong. I don't have to prove anything...but unless you can prove it DIDN'T happen, you have no leg to stand on. It can remain as a theory in your mind that you can ridicule 'til the cows come home, and it will make no difference to me or anyone else who knows better. So the question I must now ask is: "So why do you do it? Hmmm? What is it that you are REALLY afraid of?"

Melody and Instruments for the soul...

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

Quote:
Mithras, ehh Jesus (sorry, the stories of the two are so alike I keep on mixing them up)

This is why I asked which criteria you would apply, Galmin, to differentiate myths from reality.

The equation of Mithra=Jesus has an obvious inherent problem in the factoring -

Can you cite the approximate year of Mithra's birth, his biography, the writings of those who knew/worked with him or other historical references of his life on earth?

For example, a more historically correct (but not quite philosophically correct) equation along the line you used would be:

Buddha=Confucius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> News / Politics / WAR-Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: