MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Political cartoon in SCMP this week

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Political cartoon in SCMP this week Reply with quote

It is a sad-funny editorial cartoon.

People should have a say in their own fate. Once established, democracy takes it's own local shape, which is a good thing. Germany took 6 years to establish a solid German democracy and in Japan it took 10 years to establish a Japanese style democracy (both post WWII). One size doesn't fit all.

Iraq is a "work in progress" with many problems. For instance, it has 3 distinct main groups that aren't always on the best of terms - Shites, Sunnis and Kurds. Perhaps a UK version of democracy will work best - where you have Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England, etc., but one central government.

Of course, Hong Kong is in a more precarious and complex situation in it's citizen's move toward a higher degree of self-government!

Tiawan is considered just a rogue PRC province by Beijing, but the island-country has some strategic alliances as a built in buffer. And they could also vote to join the mainland, if they're so moved.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Political cartoon in SCMP this week Reply with quote

The Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese but not a part of China. China considers Taiwan a part of China. Interesting really!

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Political cartoon in SCMP this week Reply with quote

Just found it quite poignant.....

|Talk Soup |

questionnaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: democracy??? Reply with quote

Chris, I'm afraid that democracy is impossible under both capitalist and communist systems. Ron talks as if democracy already exists, which is totally misleading because we have a very long way to go. Because economic, political and media power is concentrated in a small number of hands, America is almost as far away from democracy as China. I am English and familiar with English history in great detail from 1688 (our so-called 'glorious revolution' where Parliament took over from feudal power) to the present day, and it wouuld be best to describe England as a nation still struggling for democracy - we still haven't abolished the House of Lords, a second-chamber where hereditary Peers of the Realm can veto decisions made in Parliament. The authority of the market and the corporations is even more brutal and autocratic than the power of communist bureaucrats.

One day, though, we might have democracy. The first thing to do to achieve it is to stop listening to people like Ron who who tell us that it is already here. That is very foolish nonsense.

There is some good discussion here, even though I don't like the title of the site, because of course the term 'reclaim' suggests that it's something we have had and lost:

Reclaim Democracy

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Political cartoon in SCMP this week Reply with quote

Quote:
The Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese but not a part of China. China considers Taiwan a part of China. Interesting really!

Hmmm...so would it be correct to say the Tiawanese culturally are in sync with the mainland, but don't feel a like political allegiance? I believe Mandarin is the common language of Tiawan, as it is on the mainland(?).

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: personally Reply with quote

I think democracy is overhyped, as I said in another post last month. HK was governed quite nicely without being a democracy, we have more accountability here than most democratic countries - notice how many resignations we've had from officials screwing up. We have 100% freedom. Our system works find. I think its a bunch of politicians, again, another political agenda pushing, stirring up shit.Tung is quite stupido, but he's still not malevolent like some other leaders, and he's been pulled into shape by our last years march.

As long as there are vested interests and campaign contributions from big businesses, democracy is a farce.

If 100% of campaign funds were paid from public taxes, then people would damn well vote, one candidate wouldn't have an advantage over the other, there would be NO reliance on corporate thieves, and there would be true governance of the people, by the people, for the people.

not off the big businesses, for the greedy gits, and by the corrupt pigs.

Course, this is just my opinion.

:gl

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Political cartoon in SCMP this week Reply with quote

Ron - yes although the original Taiwanese people spoke Taiwanese - the CHinese who came from the Mainland speak Mandarin - it's a little different to the Mainland.

Chairman Mao simplified Chinese in China so the written language is different between China and all other Chinese-writing countries.

Debbie - love your opinion! Just curious - how big does a business have to be before it's a 'big business' for you?

|Talk Soup |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

I guess I'm talking MNCs with about US$500 mill in revenues for starters. For the higher earners, skies the limit - billions in revenues.

Perhaps I should qualify - the individual tax payer should have a full say in elections, and will if it's their money going into the funding. I think something comes out of govt coffers a few months before the elections in the US?? but before that its campaign funding all the way, and all the rich lobbying groups get a say in policy, which is why the environment is shot to bits and US tax payer money is funding isreal.

And what is this impact on our world?

GAH.

questionnaire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: yes indeed .... Reply with quote

"... all the rich lobbying groups get a say in policy ..."

That's right.

Power is bought in America. There is no democracy.

Power is centralized in China. There is no democracy.

Democracy remains an unrealized ideal, and even that ideal depends on an enlightened, educated and properly informed population free of influence from religions and other interest groups.

A true democracy with an uneducated population could be even worse than an autocracy.

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: hahahaha Reply with quote

"A true democracy with an uneducated population could be even worse than an autocracy."

swot I've been saying for years - case in point India.

Can't have democracy unless people completely informed - and without inquiring minds that's a bit difficult... :wgrin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: