MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Sen. John Kerry chooses Sen. John Edwards as his Democratic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Sen. John Kerry chooses Sen. John Edwards as his Democratic Reply with quote

Sen. John Kerry chooses Sen. John Edwards as his Democratic running mate for the 2004 presidential election.

What does this mean?

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: this means Reply with quote

that if he wins he'll be president and edwards will be VP.

like idiot and thug right now. :aua

:ww

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sen. John Kerry chooses Sen. John Edwards as his Democra Reply with quote

Quote:
What does this mean?

In US Prez politics, Chris, the candidate tries to "balance the ticket". That is, find someone who makes up for the things he lacks in the public's perception.

In this case, re: the average American's perception -

Kerry is aloof, arrogant, a typical, too far to the left "northeast liberal" (esp. Massachussets). They don't have a good record getting independents or middle-of-the road voters and obviously very little of the conservative vote.

John Edwards should be at the "top of the ticket" in my opinion. But here he balances out Kerry's weaknesses. He's warm, likeable & easygoing. He's from the south (a geographic balance) and is more to the center politically than Kerry. He's attractive to the middle of the roaders and independent voters. His only real drawback is that he was a trial lawyer long before becoming a Senator - he's in his first term. American's generally have low opinions of lawyers in general.

On the Republican side, I think Bush would be better served to dump VP Cheney (usually the politicians call it "I'm leaving office to spend more time with my family", lol). Rudy Giuliani, the heroic mayor in the aftermath of 911 would be an excellent replacement, he's a beloved & well known American Republican. Or he could go with Republican Senator John McCain, whom Kerry asked first to his VP candidate. Of course, McCain said "Thanks, but no thanks, John." McCain is highly esteemed among Democrats, independents and the "Mid-roaders" in addition to his GOP (Republican) base.

But the bottom line is that historically not very many voters vote based on the #2 guy since VPs don't have much to do other than cutting ribbons at new bridges and malls type thingees. It's the top of the ticket they consider important.

However, a good VP pick can gave just the slight edge to carry states that a party might otherwise write off as given losses. It's carrying states that are important - the US doesn't have an actual "national election", but 51 different elections on the same day. (50 states & Washington. DC)

It's the combined state's electoral votes that decide who is elected President, all according to the US Constition as set down over 200 years ago. The "popular vote" is more or less just a meaningless, interesting dressing. There's no mention of it in Constitution in electing a President, that's determined by the Electoral College.

Don't ask me to explain it here, lol!!! But here's a link that should do the trick if it doesn't put a person to sleep or leave them more confounded: How the Electoral College Works.

Although there was much ado about the last election, had Al Gore won his own home state's (Tennesee) electors he'd be the Prez now. However he lost not only the electoral vote, but also the popular vote. I belive it's almost unprecented for any Presidential candidate to have down that.

Back to your specific question: Since he couldn't lure John McCain, John Edwards is the best choice Kerry could make. I like the guy.

questionnaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Chris ... Reply with quote

.... to put it in a nutshell, the Democrats are trying to appeal to two sectors of the electorate. Kerry will attract the the urbane metropolitan types that predominate in the North-East and a few other places and Edwards is a drawling Southerner who will appeal to the more rustic types.

Bush will continue to appeal to fellow-idiots from all over the country (just kidding :aua )

It's a standard strategy.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sen. John Kerry chooses Sen. John Edwards as his Democra Reply with quote

Quote:
that if he wins he'll be president and edwards will be VP.

hahahahhaa DEBBIE!! :wgrin I had that coming!!! hahaha

Ron! Rudy Giuliani is a cool choice!

Steve! Bush will continue to appeal to fellow-idiots from all over the country hahahahaha That reminds me of a post I must make.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

:aua

:g

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: