MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

The qualude entry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete marinovich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: The qualude entry Reply with quote

Tiny Woman

My Taiwanese wife says it sound Japanese. I dunno about these things. Just thought you might enjoy it.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

ooh I MUST listen to this later on - I'm running out the door for a FOUR hour band practice PLUS I'm going to watch "Die Another Day" - nice to see you Pete!

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

Hmmm very smooth jazz! :clap Why's it called Tiny Woman? Its got some nice 'fragile' moments! Enjoyed listening to it! Thanks for posting!

|

petemarinovich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

I always wanted to write a song with a Far East flavor. I came up with this one day and was showing it to my trio at band rehearsal. I told the guys I didn't have a name for it. Jeff, the drummer, is also the head photographer for a local university. At that moment he was looking at my wedding photos from Taipei. He said let's call it "Photos from Taiwan." I said "cool." But then my wife comes up the stairs, all 85 lbs of her, and says "It sound Japanee" :) so that blew that title.

That weekend we performed it at the club and I introduced it as "Emily" my wife's English name.

Later that night, she said that made her very uncomfortable. She is very self effacing, you know. She suggested "Tiny Woman" as a compromise. But, of course, she eagerly brags to her close friends that it is her song.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

Aha! So your wife is Taiwanese Pete!!!! Lovely photo! When did you guys get married? Do you speak Mandarin? How did you meet? Am I asking too many questions? :banana

|

pete marinovich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

We got married in August of 2001. I met her at a volleyball game here in the Washington area while she was attending graduate school here. I've been to Taiwan twice since then but never made that extra little jump to Honk Kong. My father in law has been begging me to go to work for him in Shanghai where I'd make some large bucks but I don't feel comfortable with that idea.

I can speak some simple phrases in Mandarin and I'm learning to write characters as well. But I don't speak any Taiwanese.

It's been an interesting gig. :)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!! Taiwan twice? Good for you! Interesting place, isn't it? :) Shanghai!?! Everybody here wants to work in Shanghai - apparently it's the 'next Hong kong' :banana I think you ought to check it out! What does your father-in-law do?

WOW! I'm impressed that you are learning some Mandarin! That's wonderful! Bound to make your wife very very happy!

You two will have beautiful children :banana

|

pete marinovich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

heh,

My father in law has two factories in Shanghai. One makes synthetic leather, PVC, various materials for clothing, furniture, etc. The other factory makes shoes. I suspect he also invests in some "other" businesses that I'm not supposed to know about.

Anyway, it is my understanding that Taiwan has a special relationship with the US to create English schools which will have valid credit here in the States. The professors and organizers of these schools must have certain education credentials.

However, in China there really are no such restrictions on creating such schools other than giving the government their cut of the profit. English schools in China are a huge profit potential and that's what he wants me to help him with.

This gentleman is very old and traditional and it is hard for him to understand the fierce independence that American men value. His family members remain dependent and answerable to each other for life it seems. Of course, music is not considered a worthy enterprise. He loves me, though. He's very proud of the way I handled some of the antiAmerican vibe among his Taipei mob buddies who tried to intimidate me once. Imagine that :)

Well, I've got a stable existence here for the present time. If I lose my job, which is always a possibility, I'll probably be off on a Shanghai adventure!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a great relationship with a traditional Chinese man who happens to be your father-in-law! Congratulations!

Yes I have friends who teach in China - they say it's a very rewarding experience, they almost feel like 'pop stars' as they are usually the only foreigner there :banana

So Pete, would you like an underblurb?

|

pete marinovich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it called Tiny Woman? Reply with quote

Underblurb?

I'm sure you will think of something appropriate for me one day. I'm content to be generic until then.

Gotta go. Chinese New Year celebration tonight!!

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

Excellent smooth jazz feel, has a "reflective" feel to it. I enjoyed listening!

--ron--

pete marinovich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

Thank you, sir.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

Indeed a 'fragile' track :D

Like birds singing :D

Very low in volume... but I enjoyed the various

interesting chords-combinations.... some hard changes there :D ...and the flageolets in particular :)

MIKE

pete marinovich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

Heh,

I don't know what "flageolets" are.

But it's good to know I'm good at them. :)

pete marinovich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The qualude entry Reply with quote

And wow, I've got a far out blurb now!

I may have to post some more just so I can see it once in a while. :bigeyes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: