MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

new song, new sound, new idea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PANick11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

www.shakytee.com/DeepMix.mp3

Hey!!

I've got a new project started.....three tunes so far....there will be 10..

this is the most finished one so far.....

the CD will be called

The Chapel Perilous

and this tune is called

The Deep

www.shakytee.com/DeepMix.mp3

and ShakyTee was sweet enough to let me upload the first one to her site until A.L. opens back up

Listen to it........ok?

PANick

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

Sweet guitar sound and picking/chords :) ))

The tune itself shows surprisingly some celtic influences for my ears :)

Nice sonic quality, but the vocals are far too much in the background and spreaded too much in their panorama position.

I would recommend to mix the 'main' (deeper) voice strictly in the middle panorama position and the higher voices 'around' it.

And... can you please get rid of the 'click'? :LOL :lol :D

MIKE

PANick11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: HA HA!! Reply with quote

LOL!!!!yea....the relentless rimshot has got to go.....

I imported it with the midi and just left it because it was helping me hear where things were early or late.....

It'll be tossed eventually

Thanks for the tip on the vocals!!...I've had a hell of a time trying to make em sound right...

The hard Pan is too much.....But I wanted that whisper track to sound like it was comming from somwhere else....hmmm.....

Omar, who usually helps me in the studio ,has been doing live sound every night so I'm left to my own devices until he gets a night off.....This is the first Midi drum track I've ever created....it wa FUN!! but it took me forever.....

:eek

thanks for listening !!

HEY!!!

do you use an analog sum when your mixing from protools?

I ran this through the Dangerous 2 Bus after my initial mix...and it freaked everything out!!

I adds a LOT of warmth.....and depth...but I still havn't figured out how to use it properly.....

all good things!

PANick

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

:) You're joking? For your first midi-thingy/mix it sounds more than only good :) )) :me

Oh well... I mix and master fully digital normally.

It can be of advantage in rare cases to use a analog device (tube-pre-amp, compressor, limiter, 2" wheel) for mastering sub-groups or the complete stereo sum.

However, you can argue forever about the sound and if it is 'better' or 'warmer' or not.

As a matter of fact, mastering on a 2" wheel for example is common practice in many major studios, but there are also similiar sounding major productions performed totally in the digital domain. Since there are products like the t.c.MasteringTool PlugIn, you really have a hard time to determine any noticeable difference.

In general, by mastering through a analog device, while using the stereo-sum of ProTools for example, you give up dynamics and some other 'brilliant' factors... because you again create the CD master in a digital way as a normal 'user'. Majors will produce a glass master from a analog tape source by 'scratching' the music-information with very expensive and sophisticated devices 'directly' into the CD.

You as a normal 'user' will be forced to re-master the analog-processed material in a digital domain to create a digital glass-master, ain't it? Now we are in the 'arguing' area again.....

Overall I can say, that it can be a very good method to record vocals, drums and guitars (in particular) while using a analog pre-amp/EQ routed into a anlog input of ProTools. This adds, when used properly, subharmonic distortion which can be very teasing to your ears :D

MIKE

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

PANick... personally, I prefer more upbeat, melodic tunes..

but that's just me.. - I have trouble dealing with serious songs....

Sounds Pink Floydish... - but the overall levels seem low..

some sweet guitar work at the beginning....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

um....

what do you guys think of Auto-Tuning vocals...??

(like - the Antares plug-in for ProTools....??)

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

Me personally I prefer the t.c. Intonator PlugIn for ProTools, but the Antares is good also. In general Auto-Tuning should be dealt with very carefully, but it can be very useful to correct minor mistakes which can't be corrected the right way (i.e. by inviting the singer again).

Major out of tune vocals processed with a Auto-Tuner tend to sound 'tuned'... and you'll lose the fine nuances in pitch and vibrato a human voice lives from.

If you use the Auto-Tuner as an effect (i.e. Cher and many popular Disco-Songs... i.e. Daft Punk), you can create really fancy and inspiring things. A Auto-Tuner also can create interesting results if used with a guitar or other instruments... but only as an effect, which can become boring after several times of use... IMHO.

MIKE

PANick11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

Mike!

well...Not really the first Midi...I've made little four measure beats and looped them....But this is the first time I've tried for somthing sophisticated..

And I dug it!!.....Trying to make it sound like a drummer...(occasionally a 3 handed drummer..;)

But I was amazed when I started tweaking velocities and messing around with the high hat....I never realized how much there is too it...and how much is possible

It took me 8 hours to make that drum part

:eek :

LOL!!

drooly, I used Antares on this....but I dont know how to work it.....

I dont sing much anymore...mostly I just Yell!!!..so the vocals are pretty rough

the idea is to develop a "sound"..right now...this is unlike any music I've ever recorded....But I really want to do somthing dark and ponderous....It's been on my mind for a couple years...

these vocals were recorded cold from right there in the booth....cuz I was by myself...eventually I'll actually practice and sing them in the big room.....

Hopefully in tune!!!

Mike..

this is the Dangerous 2 Bus

www.dangerousmusic.com/2bus.html

It's for Bouncing the entire session to stereo in an analog environment...This seems to be where you loose fidelity from digital platforms...is when you sum all the tracks to stereo, So it's somthing you use before mastering...

I think it's stunning......the difference is not just some subtle philosophy.....it's Immediate and clear!!

I used to get so bummed with that final sum......things would just vanish...

Omar can actually use the thing.......I'm just screwing around with it...

Fortunately...I didn't have to Pay for it....he did!!

:)

anyway...thanks for listening Guys!

hmmmmm......A dark sober CD about Death and Transformation....

in an outdated style....

That should be REALLY popular!!!!

:|

I think it will be my big break......

;)

PANickp

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

I'm listening! I worship the temple of Panick! Yes there are problems with the mix. I agree the vocals is low and the high hat is weird. Yet, I wanna hear more by you! hahahahahaha

I just had a look at your bus - looks very sexy!

I'm always impressed with all this stuff. I sit at fellow musician house's with my mouth open, absorbing as much information as I can. It must be cause I'm a

Jane Eliz|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Today's Song
|

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

I sit at fellow musician house's with my mouth open, absorbing as much information as I can. It must be cause I'm a :banana

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chris, do you have any clue what grief statements like that can cause in a forum frequented by male guitarists..¿¿¿???

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: new song, new sound, new idea Reply with quote

hahahaahahahahaa WHEN you put it like that! hahahahaha

I love the world of music, the world of technology and the world of talent. I appreciate it all in it's many forms.

And yes I'm still a

|

PANick11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: wow..... Reply with quote

Thanks Chris!!

wow!

I'm really into doing this CD.....It's the most serious thing I've tried......(this tune is just scratching the surface)

I've done Fusion and Funk tunes...Angry Political Trip Hop...Free form Jazz.....

But I've always wanted to do somthing like this.....somthing deeply Poetic .....I played albums like 'Animals' and 'Wish You Were Here', The court of the 'Crimson King' and 'Three of a perfect Pair' , and all of Rhymin' Simons stuff so many times.....I probably wore out three copies of each of them before they invented CDs

But, I've never found a band that wanted to sound like this......so.....I'm gonna do it myself!!!!

with Omars help...of course.....He's always belived in my ideas!.....and he's always there to tell me when it sucks and make me dig deeper...

anyway......When I get a few of these tunes a bit more resolved I'll post a link!

thanks all for listening!

PANick

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: wow..... Reply with quote

That's so impressive that you will do it yourself Panick! In life, we MUST do the things we want to do and not wait for others.

I think you will find as you continue to progress with your CD project that you WILL come across people who are into what you are doing (like me!) and people who are more than willing to help you (sounds like Omar is one of the first!)

GO FOR IT!!!!! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

|

The Addiction

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: wow..... Reply with quote

Panick! I checked out your song, I like it my friend. Only thing you need to do is raise your vocal volume then the song is finished! :D Keep up the great stuff n take care!:racing

The Addiction

ILR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: wow..... Reply with quote

wow...very nice!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: