MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

A long overdue collaboration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HatefulMusic
Ears bleeding yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: A long overdue collaboration Reply with quote

This is a tune I did back in 2004 with Debbie Mannas of Hong Kong. It was mastered by our own Mike Burn. The lyrics are in Sanskrit & English.

Pacific Fists

Enjoy!

Theo

HatefulMusic.com

Edited by: HatefulMusic at: 1/13/06 7:05
droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A long overdue collaboration Reply with quote

Well, it's still not showing, but I'll definitely keep checking back..

I'm quite curious to hear this..

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Theo!! Reply with quote

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The blurb on the chorus and title, by Bankim Chandra in the 1940s -for the Indian freedom movement. The song was called Vande Mataram, the chorus lyrics mean:

Mother, I bow to thee!

Rich with thy hurrying streams,

bright with orchard gleams,

Cool with thy winds of delight,

Dark fields waving Mother of might,

Mother free.

He was talking about India, but I took some liberties and in our song I used it to mean the whole earth...

I love the name - Pacific Fists hahahahaha. And cool pic too!

:kizz

Sir Reel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Theo!! Reply with quote

Whose translation is that?

The "thee" and "thy" are touching.

HatefulMusic
Ears bleeding yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Theo!! Reply with quote

:D

Theo

HatefulMusic.com

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: translation Reply with quote

:rollin

I think it was another persons, Sri Aurobindo... and it WAS back in 1947 or thereabouts LOL!

Oh, Theo, the language is Sanskrit... I just love the whole feel of the tune and especially the guitars you put in afterwards. And Mike's masterful mixing! :cool

:ww

HatefulMusic
Ears bleeding yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

Oops, my mistake! BTW, I mixed it, and Mike mastered it. But your vocal is what makes the whole tune.

I just wish Myspace would let it post.

Theo

HatefulMusic.com

Sir Reel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

Does Sanskrit have familiars like thy and thou and impersonals like yours and you-guys? Just wondering.

HatefulMusic
Ears bleeding yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

It's alive!

Theo

HatefulMusic.com

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

Ka-ching! Just heard it.

Can't really comment, (as I don't understand the style), other than to say it's really adventurous, well-performed, and produced....

And I can certainly hear an Indian flavour...- not sure if it's from Theo's music or Debbie's vocal...

Oh - and Theo? My cats heard it, and they WEREN'T scared.

You're slipping, pal...

hahaha.

Nice job, guys..!

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

Just listened again.

It's the Melody that sounds Indian to my ears.

Theo, there are some dead silent stops in there... (with cricket sounds..?...) Was that on purpose?

HatefulMusic
Ears bleeding yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

It's all on purpose. Even the crickets. :)

Theo

HatefulMusic.com

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

I listened to this 3 times ealrier today and i have to say it was AMAZING!! Really great track - I LOVE music like this! Debbie's vocals are haunting yet captivating for me (as the listener) and thank you for posting it and putting it up online!!! :sensational :sensational :yahoo

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

HatefulMusic
Ears bleeding yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, I totally agree about Debbie's voice.

Theo

HatefulMusic.com

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: translation Reply with quote

:blush Thanks y'all!!! :steeth

Drooly, it was Theo's base track that provided the inspiration, and then he overlaid it with the lead track and other fine details after the vox. Then Mike mastered it. For me it was a very easy going no-stress collab, coool!

Listening to it now my accent sounds very anglicised!!! I reckon I coulda sounded a bit more indian on the sanskrit bits hahahahaha!

Sir Reel, Sanskrit is kinda like Latin, many other languages have have been derived from it, but its rarely used today in India. I have a confession to make, I don't really speak anything besides English, but my pronounciation and ability to mimic is not half bad... but if you ask me about vocabulary and grammar etc I'm a dead loss!!! I do know, however, that as in French, Indian languages have masculine and feminine and deference is paid to elders and seniors in terms of how they are referred to. Eg, in Hindi you'd say "aap" (hard "a") as a sign of respect when you're talking to an older person, and "thum" (not pronounced like thumb - the U sound is heard) for casual speak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: