MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

VENUS! - rare astronomical occasion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: VENUS! - rare astronomical occasion Reply with quote

On June 8, 2004, Venus - the Earth's sister planet - passes in front of the Sun as seen from the Earth. This very rare event (no person now living has ever seen one!) lasts about 6 hours and will be visible from most of Europe, Africa and Asia.

In some ways, Venus is the twin of Earth, almost exactly the same size and only slightly less dense, made mostly of volcanic rocks.

But there the similarity ends and it’s certainly not a place to spend your summer holiday!

The thick atmosphere means that it’s always cloudy on Venus and that the pressure on the surface is 90 times atmospheric pressure on Earth.

The atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide and Venus suffers a runaway greenhouse effect that makes the worst predictions of global warming on Earth seem positively chilly.

The surface temperature is 480oC and if there ever were oceans on Venus, they’ve long-since boiled away.

If you could stand the heat and pressure on the surface, you’d see an orange sky.

If it ever rains, it rains sulphuric acid.

However, Venus is the brightest planet visible in the sky and it is perhaps not surprising those who viewed it from Earth named it after the Goddess of beauty.

Best seen just after sunset or before dawn, a small telescope reveals that, like the Moon, it has phases as the Sun illuminates a crescent, half or full disc, evidence Galileo used to support the idea of planets orbiting the Sun.

MIKE

10 free song uploads||1 free video upload

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Cool Mike. Wish I knew where I could go to see it. Delaware (moved here 6 months ago) is very flat...not where you'd expect to find an observatory. :laugh

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: VENUS! - rare astronomical occasion Reply with quote

WOW! I want to see this!! Thanks for the information Mike!! :yo

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

Treacle Lilly

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VENUS! - rare astronomical occasion Reply with quote

damn! We yanks always miss the cool intergalactic events :p

Love, Life and Music for the sub-masses

My New CD is out NOW!!

Da Blog

Where I've been lately

Enjoy my Weed files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: