MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: cool Reply with quote

I'm guessing if you paid then they are not going to thank you so you need public recognition for your kind and modest act of helping out a crumbling corporation. Thank you for letting us know about your generous act.

jane-eliz.com needs paying for at the beginning of 2004 so if you're feeling like you want to make a difference again please feel free to pay the fees. Thanks in advance. :racing

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

Voge - it would seem more practical for you to have your own website rather than rely on an external OMD which can go offline at any time without warning.

It was very nice of you to pay for their US$35. I doubt you will get any 'thanks' from mp3.com as you blatantly posted everywhere how 'stupid' this corporation is and how it needed a 'nice' guy to get it running again.

Maybe it was some bizarre plan where they can now prove that mp3.com is worth something to someone? I doubt it. They have fired a lot of their staff, emails take days to answer - a lot of things have been 'discontinued' as they dont' have the staff to maintain it. Perhaps they could hire a bunch of nice people like you Voge? Who simply want to keep the site running? Who would spend their own money? I think that would be great promo for you Voge! Good luck! :banana

|Talk Soup |

MP3Artists

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

well the domain is still listed in WHOIS as being owned by MP3.com, VoGe. Ya know I thought the same thing myself and was going to ck it out. The place has just gotten beyond belief. I think it's time to do some massive editing of my pages. Has anybody else experienced a reduction in their "plays" figure ? Mine is half of what it was.

here is the current WHOIS info.

Registrant:

MP3.com, Inc. (MP3S-DOM)

4790 Eastgate Mall Rd

San Diego, CA 92121

US

Domain Name: MP3S.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

MP3.com (HM3936-ORG)                hostmaster@MP3.COM

MP3.com

4790 EASTGATE MALL

SAN DIEGO, CA 92121-1970

US

858-623-7000 fax: 858-623-7400

Record expires on 26-Sep-2004.

Record created on 07-Oct-2002.

Database last updated on 6-Oct-2003 07:52:36 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

SDNS01.MP3.COM 63.241.16.3

SJNS01.MP3.COM 65.200.216.54

peace

Chris

www.chrisgardner.com

Ted Lehman
Stranger than truth?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Oct 5-11th VoGE week at MP3.com Reply with quote

Have VoGe featured in every genre and on the main page. Fellow artists we should cover a VoGE song for the "VoGE saves MP3.com' CD to be released soon. Waddya say folks are you with me?:ww :w w:ww :w w

Ted Lehman.com
Where to go for GREAT Classic Rock music!!!

VoGE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

bbchris... I can appreciate the humor in your cynicism, but all I did was pay $35 to get my artist site back up a couple of days sooner than MP3.com would probably have acted on it. In the process I also happened to turn over 1,000 other artists back on at the same time.

When was the last time ANYONE bought that much goodwill for $35 US? I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As for your comments about me calling anyone or anything "stupid", you are sorely mistaken. This was a slip-up that could have happened to ANY company and does almost every day!

It happened to Microsoft in 1999 when they neglected to pay the renewal fee on their passport.com domain. Of course, the Passport service is at the heart of a whole host of Microsoft-related services, including Hotmail and MSN Messenger, and while being unable to trace the Passport servers, some of the most popular services shut up shop until links to the outside world were restored.

Hotmail's 20 million users were only reunited with their 55 million addresses thanks to the generosity of a Linux user, Michael Chaney, who paid the renewal fee on Microsoft's behalf.

All it takes for a domain holder to miss a renewal notice is for the contact email they submitted to be no longer valid. A situation that is highly likely given MP3.coms reductions in staff.

Stupid? Nawww. Embarrasing? You betcha!

...VoGE

VoGE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

Hi Chris! Long time no chit chat. My fault, I'm too much a hermit.

As for your wondering about the whois listing, I didn't "buy the domain", I simply paid their bill to take it out of inactive status.

Anyone can pay any domain's renewal fees. All it takes is a valid credit card. Of course, no legal rights to the domain are conveyed to the payer. Nor was I looking for any. I just wanted the site back online ASAP.

...VoGE

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

VOGE is da MAN! :D :D :D

Here's the story....

mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=57663

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

Listening to your "Amazing Grace", VoGE.....

simply beautiful......

I've bookmarked your page......

Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Steve is da man! Reply with quote

And famous, now, too!

Great job!

:sensational

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

Hey Voge! I totally understand why you would pay it in your situation - and glad you can see my tongue-in-cheek humour - I would be very surprised if mp3.com acknowledge it in any way - that was more what I was saying. So totally agreeing with your 'embarrassment' viewpoint :banana

I'm glad it works for you. I have to confess I don't know anything about Michael Chaney and what he did.... I'm not a hotmail user so maybe that's why.

|Talk Soup |

SwanSpirit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

HI VOGE .... how you doing???

Was wondering where you had gotten to .........

Was great of you to think beyond yourself..... not out of character for you .... but wonderful of you still ...

Love and HUGS

Swannie

Anyway's, nobody liked Stravinsky when he performed The Rite of Spring for the first time, they all thought he sucked as a composer, look at him now, he still couldnt care less what the general populace thought of his music, if you the creator are happy with your music...thats all that should matter, isnt it ?

Stuart Mitchell

Ted Lehman
Stranger than truth?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: VoGE you said it Reply with quote

Quote:
When was the last time ANYONE bought that much goodwill for $35 US? I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As for your comments about me calling anyone or anything "stupid", you are sorely mistaken. This was a slip-up that could have happened to ANY company and does almost every day!

Money well spent.

You are so right that stuff like this can happen to any company any day of the week.

In my company the opperations guy sighed up all the phones to a new provider and the next thing I know my DSL service went out. He never communicated with me and we never got with my provider to change the billing. This kind of thing absolutely happens all the time. You explained it well.

Ted Lehman.com
Where to go for GREAT Classic Rock music!!!

Blumberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VoGE you said it Reply with quote

It IS true. I called him about it and he knew what to do to get it fixed. I tried to do it but didn't know that you could renew another domain that you didn't own.

Edited by:
Blumberg at: 10/7/03 3:33 pm
RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

Quote:
When was the last time ANYONE bought that much goodwill for $35 US?

And there is something to be said for "random acts of kindness" - just for the sake of doing 'em. Being thoughtful is nice, being thoughtful and backing it up with $35 is even nicer. :D Good going!

(Now, if Mp3dotcom had used Godaddy for domain reg/renewal, the goodwill would have only cost ya $8!)

MP3Artists

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Artist That Rescued MP3.com's Website... Reply with quote

You are truly awesome VoGE and a man of the highest spirit !

I hope you at least get a thank you and a reimbursement of some kind from MP3.com.

what is scary is that no one from MP3.com or Vivendi corporate bothered to even visit MP3.com over the weekend and at least attempt to figure it out. :dunno

peace

Chris

www.chrisgardner.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: