MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Is this song good enough for demo, does it need mastering?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

*Harsh-Mode=ON* :D

In my opinion the track is rather bad for a demo, because you hear nothing... it's way too low in volume. Way too low.

That's one thing. I also think it's too long, or let's say I simply would shorten it in favor of the rare sung parts to keep "the action". There's a lot of guitar scratching going on, topped by the saxophone... and they all just play together when some rare notes of the piano are to hear. So the few piano notes are always covered by everybody.

I mean I have trained ears, but had my problems to determine any keyboard at all :D I don't know if the demo-requester had more keyboards/synthesizers and soundscapes in mind.

Drooly's idea to overdub keyboards is brilliant :) )

I would do some massive synths.... and tell the club owner later, that the keyboarder has two broken arms when it comes to the gig :LOL

I can change the loudness of the current track if you want, that's no major work :) )

MIKE

ReBop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

I thought that the rhythm guitar was a bit hot in the mix, and the piano was down too low... I COULD hear it though.

Good vocal perfomance, Chris. :)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

Thanks for your great 'harsh' criticism Mike - too low in volume? Grrr - better than too loud of course!! I do wonder what the club guy means by keyboards - I'm thinking on the Stranger, Mark's guitar sounds like a keyboard so ahem....

Yeah, dubbing keyboards would be great except... the only thing is how on Earth would we dub the keyboards? hahahahhahaa Practically speaking this is a nightmare....

Rick! Thanks for listening! What do you mean by 'a bit hot'?? Too much?

I'm thinking of calling the club guy up tomorrow and meeting him in person then I can sell him myself (this is Kenny Lee's idea!)

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

Overdubbing should be quite simple...

Just record a stereo version of whichever finished track you think would appeal the most, record a keyboard track, mix and master....voila..!!

And yeah - if you could meet in person, it would definitely give you an edge.....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

Another thing... - if the club guy is not a musician, I would assume that by "keyboards" - he means piano....

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

I see what you mean Drooly - I'll see what I can do - I'd rather not have keys on either Stranger or People... But if it has to be... It just means more work for me! :wgrin

|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

ok - tell me this...

If the club is considering hiring TOL, they must have heard something by the band that made them consider it, yes?

If so, what did they hear that piqued their interest?

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

More work?

well.....

No Pain, no Gain...

But you knew that, Jane....

Speaking of which - I got a ton of it myself today.....

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

As far as I know; a professional free-lance bass player recommended TOL to him - this club guy is SPECIFICALLY looking for a Western band with keyboards. That was his only specification. The other band he mentioned are one of HK's top band and yes they have a keyboard player...

He wanted to hire us BEFORE he got the demo, so maybe I shouldn't be so worried?!?!?

|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

If the gig is important to you, the demo still has to be the best you can make it.

Sorry - not trying to sound patronizing here..... - just sharing my thoughts........

:)

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

I'm just encoding the "pumped" up version of the track.

At least you have more loudness, hear a bit more :) and I also did cut the song length :)

20 minutes.....

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

I hope you hear a difference :)

mikeburn.net/music/wedding_rem.mp3

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

same track - before "pumping up"....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

(Chris - whoever is hosting that is VERY slow....)

Why don't you put it at IC?.....

Edited by: droolymutt at: 9/24/03 7:18 pm
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this song good enough for demo, does it need masterin Reply with quote

Wow Thanks Mike! I'm downloading now - and the funny thing is it's very slow to download! hahahaha (22 minutes left??) Must be the song!

Drooly - it's just a demo that I want an opinion on, so that's why I wouldn't put it on IC - that's for finished stuff - I could have put it on 1sound though so thanks for the tip :banana

|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: