MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

The "Industry" just works on their downfall.

The lawsuits are just one step more.

I mean it's ridiculous that FANS get sued for being FANS

of the music :) I mean, before all money is involved you

have to LIKE a special form of music. Now liking music

can lead to very dangerous consequences... even for

kids and the elderly :)

It's A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Girl, 12, Settles Piracy Suit for $2,000

Tue Sep 9, 7:19 PM ET

By TED BRIDIS, AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON - A 12-year-old girl in New York who was among the first to be sued by the record industry for sharing music over the Internet is off the hook after her mother agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000 to settle the lawsuit, apologizing and admitting that her daughter's actions violated U.S. copyright laws.

The hurried settlement involving Brianna LaHara, an honors student, was the first announced one day after the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) filed 261 such lawsuits across the country. Lawyers for the RIAA said Brianna's mother, Sylvia Torres, contacted them early Tuesday to negotiate.

"We understand now that file-sharing the music was illegal," Torres said in a statement distributed by the recording industry. "You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it anymore."

Brianna added: "I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The case against Brianna was a potential minefield for the music industry from a public relations standpoint. The family lives in a city housing project on New York's Upper West Side, and they said they mistakenly believed they were entitled to download music over the Internet because they had paid $29.99 for software that gives them access to online file-sharing services.

Even in the hours before the settlement was announced, Brianna was emerging as an example of what critics said was overzealous enforcement by the powerful music industry.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The targets of the first lawsuits against music fans who share songs on the Internet include an elderly man in Texas who rarely uses his computer, a Yale University professor and an unemployed woman in New York who says she didn't know she was breaking the law.

Each faces potentially devastating civil penalties or settlements that could cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

The grandfather and the academic

Durwood Pickle, 71, of Richardson, Texas, said his teenage grandchildren downloaded music onto his computer during their visits to his home. He said his grown son had explained the situation in an earlier e-mail to the recording industry association.

"I didn't do it, and I don't feel like I'm responsible," Pickle said in an interview. "It's been stopped now, I guarantee you that."

"I'm not a computer-type person," Pickle said. "They come in and get on the computer. How do I get out of this?"

MIKE

GreatMusicSites

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

Read this article and post your opinion:

pub48.ezboard.com/fgreatmusicsitesfrm20

Let your opinion be heard!!

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

A Civil Lawyer's Dream Come True....

@#%$ the RIAA.

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

Quote:
The "Industry" just works on their downfall.

Yup, yup, yup. They're using an idea that worked 20 years ago but doesn't anymore.

If the RIAA had an online vault of singles that people could download at $1.00 or so - or if you could order a dozen single songs for them to burn and send to you as a CD - I think they would do really well.

Artists who sell their music directly online will be a big part of a real solution. Of course the RIAA knows that if that happens the big labels will be big losers. They should be leaders in this, instead of fighting technology and music fans buyer preferences.

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

I think most everyone has heard about the RIAA offering amnesty to filesharers who turn themselves in - to see the form to apply for amnesty click HERE :aua

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

Quote:
Net music firms, DJ, offer to pay girl's fine

Friday, September 12, 2003 Posted: 10:16 AM EDT (1416 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Several Internet music services and a disc jockey have offered to reimburse a New York woman who paid $2,000 to settle charges that her 12-year-old daughter illegally copied music online.

A coalition of several "peer to peer" song-swapping networks said Thursday it was trying to locate Sylvia Torres so it could pay the legal settlement she reached with the Recording Industry Association of America on Tuesday.

Rochester, New York, radio disc jockey Brother Wease also offered to pay Torres' legal bill, and online music retailer MusicRebellion.com said it would allow Torres' daughter, Brianna Lahara, to download $2,000 worth of free music from its industry-sanctioned site.

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

Very, Very Cool!!!!! :thumb

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Industry Begins Suing P2P What do you think? Reply with quote

Are the only suing people living in USA?

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: