MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
questionnaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: I noticed that, Mike ... Reply with quote

.... but it looks like they've brought forward the date. The old free artist board is gone now. I wonder if this is a sign of rationalization or closure? :ohno

Steve H

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

Steve, the normal messageboard is still there.

They only removed the link in the pulldown menu sooner.

I can understand that they removed the link, facing

the insane postings by the anons (pictures of gay-Hitlers

in particular).

I don't see it as a sign of closure... it was reported that all

staff members have been laid down. If this would be the case,

why does a SOPHIE post about the messageboard changes then???

It rather seems, that there have been many laid off, but not all and the site will at least run a few months more, while looking for potential buyers?

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

Sophie's Corner

Quote:
SOPHIE MP3

Aug 15, 2003 at 11:25:47 Community Announcement: Free Messageboard Changes

Dear MP3.com Artist Community:

As of Monday, August 18th, 2003, Basic (Free) artists will no longer be able to post to the messageboards. This change was made by MP3.com for the following reasons:

1) A reduction is resources removed our ability to successfully moderate the free boards.

2) The artist community requested that the boards be moderated.

The following forums will not be changed:

SOPHIE's Corner

Subscriber (Platinum and Gold) Artist Forums

Basic (Free) artists will be able to read the SOPHIE's Corner board for community announcements. All free forums will not be accessible by Monday, August 18th, 2003.

Thank you for your continued support.

MP3.com Content Team

MIKE

questionnaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Yes, Mike ..... Reply with quote

..... but where is the link you posted displayed on the actual MP3.COM site? I can't find it. Also, when I followed your link and replied to a post it refused to accept my username and password. :dunno

But it doesn't matter, really, becauseI have a feeling that the OMD scene is entering a new stage of its evolution. All the anons, nutcases and dilettantes might hopefully might be weeded out, leaving genuine artists in a more supportive, serious and promotion-orientated community. To be honest with you, I would also like to see these play-trading boards such as Funender eventually disappear so that music promotion can become more meritocratic and directed towards listeners/buyers rather than fellow-artists.

Steve H

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Yes, Mike ..... Reply with quote

It's still working Steve....

.....however, a few hours ago they removed the BB-Link also from the Site-Map.......... :(

I really wish the coward anons a good riddance, but all

loose the former most active MP3-BB-Board and probably a lot of contacts....

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

The MP3.com BB has been shut down today at 01:05 MEZ.

That's about 4:05 p.m. Sandiego time.

:bawling :seismo :seismo :seismo

R.I.P.

MIKE

steppyhall2003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

Yep, R.I.P.

:ohno

Still, Mike, there were some aspects of that old board that I WON'T miss; I'm sure you'll agree.

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

Bye Bye, Miss American Pie....

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

I will play a Rhapsody....

Cleverly disguise it...

So it's not been heard before.....

LyinDanTheManagerMan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: haw haw Reply with quote

msg.mp3.com/artistforums/liststory/?topic_id=164505&month=200308&category_id=3001

:nana

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

Interesting interference from a mod on the Platinum boards:

Quote:
Time at mp3.com (Moderator)

Aug 18, 2003 at 15:28:38 Re: Is the old BB closing such a good idea ? Mp3.com ? I ask

All of the artists posting songs for download & streaming is a huge bandwidth cost to us. we have to pay for this with revenue from the artist subscriptions.

Less than 8000 artists subscribing, but over 290,000 artists using our bandwidth and costing us money- it's a HUGE overhead.

The more artists we can get to subscribe - the more likely it is for MP3.com to stay around.

Spread the word - get your friends to subscribe.

First off, I thought there would be more than 8,000 subscribers...

....and then... they announced to delete all free artist pages within this week.

That means then obviously, that over 290,000 pages will be gone... :bigeyes :bigeyes :bigeyes :bigeyes :bigeyes

Can you say "loss of substance"??????????????????

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: MP3.com will not close today... but...no more free BB Reply with quote

8000 artists ONLY? That's a shocker. A real shocker. :bigeyes

And what did they expect from having free web pages for musicians? So many people want something for nothing on the Internet. 290,000 pages with at least 1 song on each page is a waste of bandwidth if no one is promoting them.

The mp3.com bb was great for meeting people and creating collaborations. That will be missed. However I wont miss the cesspit it had become at the end.

Remember P4P? They could have spent that money on promoting mp3.com online - Mp3.com experimented a lot and I guess a lot of it didn't work.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: