MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Chris - got a typhoon headed your way?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chris - got a typhoon headed your way? Reply with quote

DAMN!! You get to the high ground, people!!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chris - got a typhoon headed your way? Reply with quote

Yes it's heading our way - not a direct hit - will be more NWW direction. I'm really annoyed as I'm meant to be recording some vocals tonight. The producer leaves next Monday so I wont have much time to reschedule with him. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Typhoon Imbudo should hit land at 8am HK time tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted!

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Chris - got a typhoon headed your way? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll keep you posted!

Cool. And as the Seismoman said - you ladies take care!

Quote:
The producer leaves next Monday so I wont have much time to reschedule with him. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

ahhh, yes, the weather can really for some nasty changes in plans. :stress

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Chris - got a typhoon headed your way? Reply with quote

Just saw this news story!

Powerful Typhoon Roars Toward Hong Kong

Reuters

Tuesday, July 22, 2003; 9:16 PM (US time)

HONG KONG (Reuters) - The biggest typhoon in years roared toward Hong Kong on Wednesday after tearing through the northern Philippines, killing at least five people, dumping torrential rain and ripping roofs off houses.

"Imbudo is a full-fledged typhoon, with maximum winds at the center of 165 km an hour (100 mph)," said Tam Cheuk-ming, a senior scientific officer at the Hong Kong Observatory.

"It will be closest to Hong Kong tonight."

The Observatory said it would raise warning signal No. 3 in the afternoon and would consider raising it again to No. 8 -- Hong Kong's third-highest storm warning -- as Imbudo churned closer toward the south China coast.

Winds were expected to intensify in the afternoon to 25-38 mph with possible gusts of more than 69 mph, with increasingly heavy rain.

At 7 a.m. (7 p.m. EDT Tuesday) the typhoon was 360 miles southeast of Hong Kong and moving northwest at about 16 mph.

Most of Hong Kong shuts down when the No. 8 signal is raised. Millions of people rush home from work and stock up on food and water as financial markets, government offices and businesses close.

Signal No. 8 indicates gale or storm force winds of 39-73 mph are expected.

At least five people were killed on Tuesday when Imbudo, which means "funnel" in the Filipino language, chewed through the Philippines. The storm was the strongest to hit the country since 1998.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chris - got a typhoon headed your way? Reply with quote

Tell me about it. I'm sitting here in trepidation.... The wind has picked up here - I just had to tie some plants down......

|Talk Soup |

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Reply with quote

I LOVE TYPHOONS!!!! Umbrellas are no use cause they fold up and pull you away. And you have to walk bent double...

The danger in Hong Kong is falling objects. Two years ago a typhoon blew in the windows of the Inland Rev. Dept. I work next door, so was amazed to see the road strewn with files and sodden papers. Our building didnt escape unscathed either - we had two broken windows. And you're talking THICK double glazed windows, some 30 floors up.

I can now see a whole newspaper (unopened) floating around my window on the 20th Floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kinda reminds me of American Beauty and the plastic bag.

Anyway, here for the uninitiated are HK's tropical cyclone warning signals...

www.hko.gov.hk/informtc/tcsignal.htm

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: We have a few in Mississippi... Reply with quote

Called Hurricanes, but the same...

Here's a famous one that paid us a visit....

BADASS LADY

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: We have a few in Mississippi... Reply with quote

Whats the difference between kilometres and miles per hour?

|Talk Soup |

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: We have a few in Mississippi... Reply with quote

try this link for conversion, Chris.

conversion

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: We have a few in Mississippi... Reply with quote

Camille was a stinker, SA!

Got nuthin like that in the Midwest of course, other than maybe some leftover rain that swirled far inland. Instead we brag about thing like the '40 Armistice Day Blizzard. I wasn't around then, but the real oldtimers were.

"Ask any Minnesotan born before 1940 and they can tell you where they were during the Armistice Day Blizzard. The weather was relatively benign the morning of the November 11, 1940. Many people were outdoors, taking advantage of the mild holiday weather. The weather forecast that morning was for colder temperatures and a few flurries. Few people were prepared for what was to come. The storm started with rain, however the rain quickly turned to snow. By the time the blizzard tapered off on the 12th, the Twin Cities had received 16.7 inches of snow, Collegeville 26.6 inches, and 20-foot drifts were reported near Willmar. In all 49 Minnesotans lost their lives in this storm, many of them hunters trapped by the sudden turn of events."

from the U of Minn site

Edited by: RonOnGuitar at: 7/23/03 8:01 am
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: We have a few in Mississippi... Reply with quote

Just turned #8 two minutes ago!! Wheeeeeeeeee TYPHOON PARTY!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee :banana :lana

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Yeah, Baby.... Reply with quote

ROCK ON!!

Edited by: Seismic Anamoly  at: 7/24/03 1:39 am
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah, Baby.... Reply with quote

Well it's passed by now - very windy still but I gotta take bro to the hospital! :banana Think of me bouncing about on the sea in the strong winds. I personally think they've lowered the signals to ensure the stock market can open - money is more important in HK than safety....

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah, Baby.... Reply with quote

Quote:
money is more important in HK than safety....

Not YOUR safety....damn them....you be careful!!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yeah, Baby.... Reply with quote

It's not that windy in town - now I see why the signals are lowered!! hahahahhahaha

|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: