MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

SCMP Newspaper Article about Music Fest this weekend

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: SCMP Newspaper Article about Music Fest this weekend Reply with quote

And they even have a small version of the photo online:

hahahaha

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: wheeeeeeeeeeeee Reply with quote

this guys really into sounds ain't he??

with me its "she whispers",

and with you its "She booms"

:aua :rollin

Its all good!!!

I wish I had some INFOCUS photos to send though arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

:gl

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: wheeeeeeeeeeeee Reply with quote

That wouldn't have helped you Debbie - all those pics are taken by and property of scmp! They took that photo of us when we were going to go to Taiwan.

The scmp very rarely prints photos that they haven't taken - something to do with making sure they don't infringe on any copyrights or have to cough up a fee to some photographer later on.

|Talk Soup |

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: ahhhhhhhhhhhh Reply with quote

that explains the photographers names at the top of the pic.

How come no pic of Ultrastatic then???

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: SCMP Newspaper Article about Music Fest this weekend Reply with quote

I found the article online - but since it's a PAY-PER-VIEW paper online - I took the courtesy of copy & pasting this article here. Hope Drooly and Larree don't report me!!

Beats working

By David Watkins

THE BASTARDS are hardly what you'd call struggling musicians: bassist David Green - or Dr David Green to you and me - has his own environmental consultancy firm. As does guitarist James Shorthose. Mark Harrison has his own town planning business (yes, Spinal Tap really are in charge). Singer Dan James owns a bar/cafe on Lamma - affectionately referred to as Dan Kwai Fong by some locals. Drummer Dave McKirdy, meanwhile, spends his time refitting Ferraris.

Likewise, the equally popular Don't Panic includes an electronics trader, a French teacher, a graphic artist and another town planner. This weekend they exchange business suits for leather trousers and indulge their part-time passions for the sake of charity. Wan Chai Live returns tomorrow, and is set to be bigger than ever.

Don't Panic will fill the midnight slot tomorrow, while The Bastards have played the 10pm Saturday slot at The Wanch since the event was forced indoors by a handful of noise complaints in 1994 (it was first held at Southorn Playground). ''We've got a reputation for being very loud and very raucous old rockers,'' asserts Dave Green. Formed 13 years ago, they're one of Hong Kong's longest-serving and favourite live propositions. ''Although our combined age is not as high as that of the Rolling Stones,'' he adds.

They are joined by 41 other bands this weekend, including Ultrastatic, Whence He Came, and Dirty Sanchez. The Wanch and Carnegie's host a different band every hour, on the hour, from 1pm until midnight tomorrow and Sunday. Marcus Thomson, the general manager of both pubs, has the unenviable task of scheduling this eighth fundraiser.

''The better bands usually get given two slots over the two days, but this year the response has been so huge that only one slot can be given to each band,'' he says. ''It really has been overwhelming - after the misery of the past few months, people really want to get back out there and celebrate.''

The event is cherished by bands and punters alike. Debbie Mannas, lead singer of Hei Sha, who hit the stage tomorrow at 6pm, says they play ''gutsy female rock''. ''We've been together since last year, when we formed especially for the event,'' she explains. ''Although we've since changed our name. We were originally called Medusa, but I guess it was a bad hair day.''

When she's not working as a systems trainer, she's studying for a Masters degree. Where does she find the time? ''I sleep at work,'' she whispers.

But the event isn't just an excuse for serious headbanging - 50 per cent of proceeds will go to the Kely (Kids Everywhere Like You) Support Group. ''We hope to raise something in the region of $30,000,'' says outreach worker David Simpson. The money raised will be used to fund alcohol and drug abuse programmes. The fact that the cash is to be raised via a marathon event staged in two pubs may raise a few eyebrows, but this is part of the plan, according to Simpson.

''We've got a raft of younger acts playing in the daytime. Most of these kids have only played in front of their friends or in a school hall, so this will get them more exposure,'' he explains. ''We've invited their families and friends to come in and watch them play in the pub until 6pm, introducing young people to a responsible, controlled bar environment.''

Won't this expose many to the temptations of the pub? ''Young people are going to experiment, and at some stage - frequently sooner than later - they're going to go to a bar,'' says Simpson. ''An event like this helps them do so. It gives them responsible exposure to something that will become a part of their lives at some stage. We'll be down there with handouts and info about alcohol. No alcohol will be served to those who are under age.''

Of course, this won't prevent the adults from failing to set an example once day turns to night. The riotous Thinking Out Loud is scheduled for a 10pm Saturday performance at Carnegie's and lead siren Chris B is champing at the bit. ''We can't wait to play up on the new balcony,'' she trills, referring to the pub's recent refit, which separates band from mosh pit while ensuring there will be no stage diving this year.

With her penchant for undressing during a gig, can the audience expect any surprises? ''Absolutely,'' she booms. ''Come and see my new bra!''

She'll be glad of that balcony.

Wan Chai Live, Sat and Sunday, 1pm until midnight. Carnegie's, G/F, 53-55 Lockhart Rd, Wan Chai; The Wanch, 54 Jaffe Rd, Wan Chai. Proceeds go to Kely Support Group. Inquiries: 2866 6289 or 2861 1621.

|Talk Soup |

goodisonpark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: ahhhhhhhhhhhh Reply with quote

I've just told Chris the bands aren't playing on the new balcony. She seems relieved. :ft

The world is your oyster but the future's a clam

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: ahhhhhhhhhhhh Reply with quote

I don't have the answers to everything the scmp does!! :banana

Yes thanks bro! I was going to wear trousers but I probably wont now :wgrin :yo

|Talk Soup |

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: So where will the bands be playing??? Reply with quote

And will there be vocal monitors?? Last time there werent grrrrrrrrr

cheers

goodisonpark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: So where will the bands be playing??? Reply with quote

Debs - There should be. Marcus and some sound guys were in when I was in yesterday afternoon. Should be the best sounding Wanchai live yet :banana

The world is your oyster but the future's a clam

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: So where will the bands be playing??? Reply with quote

I'm guessing you're there already.....

|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: