MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Looks-ism
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Looks-ism Reply with quote

Many countries already battling racism, sexism, ageism and heterosexism, are now adding

"looks-ism." to that list.

Problems arising from Looks-ism are anorexia, segmentation, contortion, objectification, passive, implicit, explicit,

traditional, sexism, racism, stereotypes and discrimination.

www.google.com/search?q=l...art=0&sa=N

GetMeMusic

Artistlaunch

1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

It works both ways Phil. I know guys who SPECIFICALLY hire plain secretaries so their wives don't give them a hard time... Some people don't want to stand out. Isn't looks a point of view though. None of my friends understand my fascination with Kevin Spacey for example....

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

If you think that physical appeal is strictly a matter of personal taste and cultural bias, think again. Who you find attractive, say psychobiologists, is largely dictated by evolutionary needs and hardwired into your brain

By Brad Lemley        

www.discover.com/feb_00/featbeauty.html

GetMeMusic

Artistlaunch

1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

Quote:
Who you find attractive, say psychobiologists, is largely dictated by evolutionary needs and hardwired into your brain...

by Brad Lemley

Say WHAT, Brad??!! :lol :lol

Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

I read this article and also saw a series on TV about this topic. I believe it is the case. Now I feel that many societies are obsessed with looks.

The music business which some of us are in is saturated with it to a point where it is getting real annoying. It doesn't always work though. Two examples Jenifer Love Hewitt & that lame guy from Nsuck.

GetMeMusic

Artistlaunch

1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

It's all in the eyebrows!!! Everyone PLUCK your eyebrows!!

|Talk Soup |

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

<<Everyone PLUCK your eyebrows!!>>

*pluck* Owwww! *pluck* Owwww!! *pluck* Owwww!!

Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

You didn't notice the big change in the lips? Also, hip size is a unversal standard.

Interesting reading here.

pub136.ezboard.com/frockr...D=53.topic

I kinda wanted to discuss, Looks-ism in the Music Industry. It not only goes on at the Majors. It goes on in the minors and sand lot or Net scenes, as witnessed on this BB.

GetMeMusic

Artistlaunch

1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

I don't have big lips!?!?!? hahahahaha

I hear what you are saying Phil - but what do you want to discuss about it? Do you want everyone who visits this bb to change? I talk to anyone regardless of how they look.

The funny thing is I come from a culture where wealth is heaps more important than looks. That said, we also have our fair share here of crappy singers who LOOK and DANCE good - sound familiar?

|Talk Soup |

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Looks Reply with quote

I get kind of uncomfortable with the looks thing (if you haven't noticed hahahaha) cause when I first came to hong kong I was hired by this swine who thought I was a backward Indian from some village with no idea of my rights. I was harassed for a year and had to literally duck and dodge round the office to avoid mr. octopus who bribed, pleaded, threatened and blackmailed in turns. I finally complained to his boss and his bosses boss. Hong Kong at that time had no legal recourse. The whole deal left a sour taste in my mouth of what men expect from you, and a very irritable stomach. Since then I have been propositioned by a couple of other folks in power... its tough when you live in the corporate world and have to act carefully.

Especially if you're not the type to take it lying down... hahahahaha

Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looks-ism Reply with quote

I am not trying to change anyone. Merely pointing to what I observe around me. Being part of society I am not immune from it's various ills. I am not saying that I am above anyone either. This topic is interesting and I might write an article about it. :ft

GetMeMusic

Artistlaunch

1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Looks Reply with quote

Phil! Write an article about it! I'd read it :banana

Hahaha I hear you Debbie. I don't have problems in real life with men. I'm too confident and assertive. Plus I can kick box hahahahaa

|Talk Soup |

Edited by: bbchris  at: 5/20/03 4:53:52 am
Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looks Reply with quote

Debbie,believe it or not I can relate somewhat. When I was much younger and worked in an office I had a gay guy hitting on me constantly. It got so annoying that I asked him to have a private talk with me. Fortunately, he was not my boss. I told him not to speak to me or even look at me anymore or I would be forced to consider doing more than talking. That worked. He never even looked at me again, well he did but looked away real quick when I noticed.

Yeah, not the same because in your case it was a boss and a dominant person in your world. that kind of behavior really gets me angry. It's more than a sxual thing. It's a domination thing. That can happen with women in charge, as well but prolly not as often.

The looks-ism topic is what I wish to focus on here but it's up to the people that respond how a thread goes. I would like it to stay serious though because in my view it's a serious situation.

GetMeMusic

Artistlaunch

1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Gotcha Reply with quote

You are right, it is definitely a power thing. But thats how it is in the industry too. And exploiting your looks is a power thing as well. Most people are in awe of beautiful people, and beautiful children get treated better than plain children. Sometimes beautiful people are deliberately cruel, especially teenagers.

I've found though that a lot of beautiful folks have a severe relationship confidence issue though.

Its a topic I've dwelt on a lot, and have been observing some of my beautiful friends and family, who grew up with their looks being a chief factor in how they were perceived and treated.

Have you seen the documentary on facial symmetry? How everything is xxx cms apart in the perfect face, whatever the race? I forgot the measurements. But it was very interesting. Hip to waist ratio is also a big factor.

Survival of the fittest - a good looking human with good skin signifies good genes/health which signifies good prospects for future generations...

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gotcha Reply with quote

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: