MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Would you desert or die if given the choice

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamTone7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

FWIW, in most countries of the world (not the US, though), it is a requirement to do at least a few years of military service for males...a reason to be glad you're a girl if you have a poor opinion of military service.

Military service (not war) is good for young men...it helps them grow up faster and with a sense of responsibility and teamwork. But it is kind of like a marriage, IMHO. You don't just bail out when the going gets tough. A deserter will live with the results of his actions for the rest of his/her life...I don't know if it would be worth it.

questionnaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: OK ... Reply with quote

I agree about teamwork and responsibility, but is it not possible to organize non-military national service? The philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein worked in a hospital here in Newcastle during the war, and he said that it taught him a lot.

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: India doesnt have the draft Reply with quote

and in the US (and most countries) a lot of rich kids get to wiggle their way out, while the poor kids need the military for education. I'd rather do hospital or community service. There's plenty of ways you can get discipline - strict parents for example... heh

I remember once, my sister (all of 7) couldnt find her socks and was in a hurry to dress for school. She asked my dad to find her socks for her... his response (yeah, he did twinkle) was "why should I find your socks, did I wear them last?" hahahahaha

Discipline? try growing up in a convent school... :wgrin

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote

Quote:
A deserter will live with the results of his actions for the rest of his/her life...I don't know if it would be worth it.

Well if he wasnt convinced of his mission in the first place my guess is he'd be grateful to be alive. Deserting for desertion's sake is one thing, but to have a choice between that and beheading? I've visited some boards and some say that he should be court martialed and put to death! Death before dishonour!!!! I can't understand that.

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Would you desert or die if given the choice Reply with quote

Dont know how true this story is, whether he deserted before, after or both times (heh), but if it was my life (well first off I would not join the army, ANYBODY's bloody army) I would desert in a flash.

www.iht.com/articles/527322.html

Too bad the poor Korea and innocent civilians had no army to desert. :bawling

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you desert or die if given the choice Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you desert or die if given the choice

I would die.

It's a matter of sense of duty. A soldier cannot afford the luxury of even considering desertation. It is, so to speak, not an option.

Wierd, huh?

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Wanna know what's even more weird? I agree with Galmin! :wgrin

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: wheeeeeee Reply with quote

I guess its a matter of perspective. I don't want to die, and I wouldn't engage in physical combat. I don't think any war is worth that. :dunno

But I see what you're saying, the sense of duty. :hm

I think I'd desert. maybe maybe not. The way I feel now, I totally understand this guy.

:fg

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: wheeeeeee Reply with quote

Difficult question. I think in Israel, women have to serve in the army too, did I remember that right? Do Palestinian women have to?

I think the army is a great troupe to join if there is zero chance of going to war. You can learn lots of skills and meet people and visit places. To learn to kill is a bummer though, kind of goes against the Ten Commandments - well at least #1!!

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: well I thought about it Reply with quote

and unless my loss of life counted for something (like I became a martyr or an icon) I'd desert. and I'd quite happily live with it too.

I just don't think any state/religion is worth dying for. Now if I had to give my life for a loved one, that might be a different thing :dunno

:aua

Data Thieves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: a different thing Reply with quote

I would never offer my body/soul to a state or religion either,

Quote:
Now if I had to give my life for a loved one, that might be a different thing

"Would you kill another for a loved one????"

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: good question Reply with quote

I would disarm somebody if I saw him attacking someone (if I was in a position to), but I would not kill.

Especially not in cold blooded revenge.

I dont believe in the death penalty either.

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I believe in the death penalty for some...but I honestly wish they would instead put people who fall into this category on a deserted island with each other, supply them with enough food/livestock to support themselves, and ring the island with mines and man-eating sharks. For people who choose to ignore societies rules, I think it a fitting punishment to live with others who think the same way that they do. Serial-killers, terrorists and canibals would fit the category from my perspective. Then we could do away with the death penalty entirely.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: