MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expected
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rev9Volts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

they all signed up for multi year contracts. they knew when joining this could happen. i have no sympathy. in ww2 soldiers were away from home for up to i think 3 or 4 years.

give them some hookers and alcohol then back to work.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

give them some hookers and alcohol then back to work
Quote:

:lol :aua :lol

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expected Reply with quote

Quote:
A Big Letdown

Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expected

By Jeffrey Kofman

F A L L U J A H, Iraq, July 16— The sergeant at the 2nd Battle Combat Team Headquarters pulled me aside in the corridor. "I've got my own 'Most Wanted' list," he told me.

He was referring to the deck of cards the U.S. government published, featuring Saddam Hussein, his sons and other wanted members of the former Iraqi regime.

"The aces in my deck are Paul Bremer, Donald Rumsfeld, George Bush and Paul Wolfowitz," he said.

He was referring to the four men who are running U.S. policy here in Iraq — the four men who are ultimately responsible for the fate of U.S. troops here.

Those four are not popular at 2nd BCT these days. It is home to 4,000 troops from the 2nd Brigade of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division. The soldiers were deployed to Kuwait last September. They were among the first troops in Baghdad during the war. And now they've been in the region longer than other troops: 10 months and counting.

They were told they'd be going home in May. Then in early July. Then late July. Then last week they heard that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld had mentioned them on Capitol Hill.

"The 2nd Brigade is — the plan is that they would return in August, having been there something like 10 months," said Rumsfeld.

He added: "The services and the Joint Staff have been working with Central Command to develop a rotation plan so that we can, in fact, see that we treat these terrific young men and young women in a way that's respectful of their lives and their circumstances."

Solid words from a solid source. Soldiers called their families. Commanding officers began preparations.

‘I Don’t Care Anymore’

Now comes word from the Pentagon: Not so fast.

The U.S. military command in Iraq said Tuesday it plans to complete the withdrawal of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division by September, but officials said they could make no hard promises because of the unsettled state of security in Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq.

"If Donald Rumsfeld were sitting here in front of us, what would you say to him?" I asked a group of soldiers who gathered around a table, eager to talk to a visiting reporter.

"If he was here," said Pfc. Jason Punyahotra, "I would ask him why we're still here, why we've been told so many times and it's changed."

In the back of the group, Spc. Clinton Deitz put up his hand. "If Donald Rumsfeld was here," he said, "I'd ask him for his resignation."

Those are strong words from troops used to following orders. They say they will continue to do their job, but they no longer seem to have their hearts in the mission.

"I used to want to help these people," said Pfc. Eric Rattler, "but now I don't really care about them anymore. I've seen so much, you know, little kids throwing rocks at you. Once you pacify an area, it seems like the area you just came from turns bad again. I'd like this country to be all right, but I don't care anymore."

Wondering Why

What they care about is their families. Sgt. Terry Gilmore had to call his wife, Stacey, this week to her that he wouldn't be home in a few weeks to see her and their two little children.

"When I told her, she started crying," Gilmore said, his eyes moistening. "I mean, I almost started crying. I felt like my heart was broken. We couldn't figure out why they do it. Why they can keep us over here right after they told us we were coming home."

Sgt. Felipe Vega, who oversees the platoon, sat alone in the platoon quarters, writing a letter. A photo of his wife, Rhonda, was taped to the wall above him.

It is Vega's job to maintain morale. That's not easy, he told me, when the Army keeps changing the orders.

"They turn around and slap you in the face," he said.

When asked if that's the way it feels, he said, "Yeah, kicked in the guts, slapped in the face."

Losing Faith

The 2nd Brigade originally came to Kuwait for six months of exercises. Then they stayed to fight the war. Like the others, Vega thought that would be the end of it.

"What was told to us in Kuwait," he said, "was the fastest way to go home was through Baghdad. And that's what we did."

But more than three months later they are still here.

"Well it pretty much makes me lose faith in the Army," said Pfc. Jayson Punyhotra, one of the soldiers grouped around the table. "I mean, I don't really believe anything they tell me. If they told me we were leaving next week, I wouldn't believe them."

Fighting words from men who are eager to put down their weapons.

Rev9Volts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

:banana

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

www.theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/troops/

NRKofOver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

Quote:
they all signed up for multi year contracts. they knew when joining this could happen. i have no sympathy. in ww2 soldiers were away from home for up to i think 3 or 4 years.

I have no sympathy either but living in a town with 30,000 active duty military people, I do know that most don't realize that this could happen to them. Especially the lower level soldiers just want a job that can get them a car and some beers on the weekend. Maybe save up for college. They get to 'play' war, but most never want to go to war (at least with the GI's I've talked to). And as someone who visited a recruiters office in my younger days, they never told me that I would be shipped around the world. They made it seem like the coolest job in the world, guaranteeing my education and money and free medical and access to fitness centers and golf courses, :) . Obviously anyone signing up for the military should be very aware of the killing part, but there's no recruiter in the world telling potential soldiers that they might be shipped to a desert where they will have kill people for up to a year at a time. That would make it a much tougher sell.

And the downside of this is that morale is very important in a war situation and if the soldiers don't want to be there any longer, you're not going to have very productive soldiers.

IMO, this is really getting ugly.

Read all about ME!

ATomMoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

My government==> :gl :dunno :dunno :bday :toc :party :nutz

Me==>>:

ATom2

Edited by: ATomMoo at: 7/17/03 11:57 pm
Rev9Volts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

i was over simplifying it. having said that... if we did give them a weekend off with beer and hookers morale would go up. yes milatary recruters lie as much as used car salesmen.

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

I fail to see how they can have any illusions about their job, since a soldiers primary function is to fight wars. That is what the training has been preparing them for. That anyone in fatigue can believe otherwise is beyond stupid.

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

There's talk about using personell from the National Guard reserve as replacement and let the troops that has been there longest go home.

I think that's a good idea, personell once AWOL from, f.i., Texas Air National Guard would have an opportunity to redeem themselves and serve this time.

Rev9Volts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

a marine officer recruter told me since i was a radio,tv and film production major in college if i joined the marines with a college degree in that i would not only be an officer but i could make tv commercials.

i believed him...:eek

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

Quote:
i believed him...:eek

Sucker :b :laugh

Rev9Volts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldiers Learn They’ll Be in Baghdad Longer Than Expec Reply with quote

nope i knew i could make tv commercials with out wearing a uniform. :banana but i would have liked to have received an officer's sword.

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: hahahahahaha Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that's a good idea, personell once AWOL from, f.i., Texas Air National Guard would have an opportunity to redeem themselves and serve this time.

The subtlety has completely been missed Galmin, much like the einstein reference hahahahahahaha

A laugh a minute!

:aua :ww

ATomMoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: hahahahahaha Reply with quote

Galmin,

I got that one right away.

Thanks for the gut wrenching laugh!:rollin

ATom2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: