MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

BBC Chief Attacks U.S. Media War Coverage

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie mannas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: BBC Chief Attacks U.S. Media War Coverage Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA tell us something we dont know.

story.news.yahoo.com/news...a_bbc_dc_4

Thu Apr 24, 8:06 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters Industry to My Yahoo!

By Merissa Marr

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. broadcasters' coverage of the Iraq (news - web sites) war was so unquestioningly patriotic and so lacking in impartiality that it threatened the credibility of America's electronic media, the head of the BBC said on Thursday.

Latest news:

· US forces quiz Aziz, hopeful of Saddam trail

AFP - 4 minutes ago

· Captured Iraq Spy May Be Link to al-Qaida

AP - 4 minutes ago

· Turkey Summons U.S. Ambassador on Remark

AP - 25 minutes ago

Special Coverage

BBC Director General Greg Dyke singled out for criticism the fast growing News Corp. Ltd.'s Fox News Channel, owned by media baron Rupert Murdoch, and Clear Channel Communications Inc., the largest operator of radio stations in the United States, with over 1,200 stations, for special criticism.

"Personally, I was shocked while in the United States by how unquestioning the broadcast news media was during this war," Dyke said in a speech at a University of London conference.

"If Iraq proved anything, it was that the BBC cannot afford to mix patriotism and journalism. This is happening in the United States and if it continues, will undermine the credibility of the U.S. electronic news media."

Dyke singled out Fox News, the most popular U.S. cable news network during the conflict, for its "gung-ho patriotism," saying: "We are still surprised when we see Fox News with such a committed political position."

A spokesman for Fox News declined comment.

The British media veteran also attacked U.S. radio broadcaster Clear Channel and warned against British media becoming "Americanized."

'SHOCKED' BROADCASTER INVOLVED IN RALLIES

"We are genuinely shocked when we discover that the largest radio group in the United States was using its airwaves to organize pro-war rallies. We are even more shocked to discover that the same group wants to become a big player in radio in the United Kingdom when it is deregulated later this year," Dyke said.

Officials for Clear Channel said that any pro-war rallies linked to the company have been organized by individuals, such as popular disc jockey Glenn Beck, or individual stations, rather than as a result of overall corporate policy.

"The idea for Glenn Beck Rallies for America actually started with a DJ at a Susquehanna Media radio station in Dallas trying to show his son -- due to ship overseas -- that there was indeed support for U.S. troops in this country," the company said in a statement.

John Hogan, president and chief executive officer of Clear Channel's radio division, told Reuters: "to categorize this as a Clear Channel policy is just laughable."

"Clear Channel Radio stations are operated locally. Local managers make their own decisions about programming and community events -- including rallies to thank and support the men and women in their communities who are serving in the armed forces," he said.

CORPORATE OFFICES NOT INVOLVED

"At the urging of their listeners, a few, about one percent, of these local managers chose to have their stations participate in pro-troop rallies. The corporate offices of Clear Channel Communications are not directly involved in the Rallies for America," he said.

In terms of plans for investments in the U.K., Clear Channel said it has no investments in U.K. radio stations and has no immediate plans to change that. "The company is not currently in talks with anyone to purchase U.K. radio assets," it said in a statement.

Dyke said, "For the health of our democracy, it's vital we don't follow the path of many American networks."

U.S. broadcasters came under attack for "cheerleading" during the Iraq conflict, with what some critics saw as gung-ho reporting and flag-waving patriotism. In one example, a U.S. network described U.S. soldiers as "heroes" and "liberators."

Dyke suggested the problem stemmed from the recent fragmentation of media, with no single network having the clout to stand up to the U.S. government.

"This is particularly so since Sept. 11 when many U.S. networks wrapped themselves in the American flag and swapped impartiality for patriotism," Dyke said.

Dyke defended the BBC in the face of accusations -- some from the British government -- that the broadcaster had been soft on Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s government.

"In times of war, British governments of every persuasion have sought to use the media to manage public opinion ... it's only a problem if the BBC caves in," Dyke said.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: BBC Chief Attacks U.S. Media War Coverage Reply with quote

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it Debbie. I personally thought the bbc news website is very fair with its news

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Hiya Chris Reply with quote

Great to see you here!

From what I've been seeing it doesnt look like folks in the US get any negative news at all hahahahahahaha.

Either that or they're having me on, winding me up just to get a reaction... cause I simply CANNOT believe what I'm reading from some posts. I'm starting to think that there's NO WAY anyone can be so clueless, it MUST be a mind game or joke.

Anyway, I'm not long for these boards now. I have to set aside atleast an hour and a half to do my studies everyday, and we've started rehearsals again too, so all in all, life is going to be hectic hectic hectic henceforth.

Cheers!

xx

d

Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hiya Chris Reply with quote

Oh,sorry tat you won't have much time to post. You have been doing a great service of educating.

Try at least a couple of times a week, k? :yo

Phil on Artistlaunch

Phil on 1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

GetMeMusic

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hiya Chris Reply with quote

Yes Debbie has been SENSATIONAL with the information she gives us. I've been reading a lot of your posts, but not responding if I have nothing to say. If that makes sense.

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

So its not been a complete :seismo then?

Thank you Chris and Phil for that!

:gl

Phil and Galmin, keep em coming!

Cheers

debbie

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: