MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

China, Iran and U.S. Top Executioners, Amnesty Says
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: China, Iran and U.S. Top Executioners, Amnesty Says Reply with quote

story.news.yahoo.com/news...tions_dc_3

By Stephanie Nebehay

GENEVA (Reuters) - At least 1,526 people were executed worldwide last year, with 80 percent of all known executions carried out in China, Iran and the United States, Amnesty International said on Friday.

The London-based human rights group also expressed concern that U.S. military tribunals which will prosecute "terrorist" suspects will have the power to impose death sentences which cannot be appealed.

In a report issued in Geneva, where the United Nations (news - web sites) Commission on Human Rights is holding its annual six-week session, Amnesty urged the 53-member body to speak out against the supreme punishment and build pressure for a global moratorium on executions.

Some 111 countries have abolished the death penalty in law or in practice but it is still imposed in 83 countries, it said.

"The death penalty is the most absolute form of a human rights violation," Amnesty's Andrea Huber told a news briefing.

"The top three executioner states were China -- with 1,060 executions in only one year -- Iran with 113 executions and the United States with 71 executions," she added.

While the number of executions worldwide appeared to have halved in 2002 from 3,048 executions in 2001, it was difficult to compare as the true number of people executed in China was believed to be much higher, according to Amnesty.

In addition, at least 3,248 people were sentenced to death in 67 countries in 2002, it said.

"For many, Amina Lawal became a symbol of the horrifying truth of the death penalty. She was sentenced to death by stoning in Nigeria for having a baby out of wedlock," Huber said. "Her appeal is still pending."

U.S. DENOUNCED

Amnesty denounced the United States for executing three death row prisoners last year who were convicted for crimes committed when they were under age 18.

"It is a practice that violates international law...There are many, many juvenile offenders on death row," Huber said.

In total, 3,700 prisoners were under sentence of death in the United States as of January 2003, according to the report.

Huber added: "We know that there are many innocent people who are sentenced to death."

More than 100 death row inmates who proved their innocence have been released in the 30 years since U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) rulings led to resumption of executions, according to Amnesty.

Number 100 was Ray Krone, a former death row prisoner in Arizona, released almost exactly a year ago after DNA testing proved his innocence. He had been convicted by two juries for the murder of a barmaid at a bar where he played darts.

"I am one of the few fortunate ones who had a chance to prove their innocence. It took a lot of work, perseverance and money," he told reporters.

Krone, who spent more than 10 years in prison, including 32 months on death row, had previously served in the U.S. air force.

"I am not proud of our justice system. Nobody who has seen what I have seen or experienced what I have could ever support the death penalty," he said.

"I was naive, ignorant of how the system really worked. I believed that innocence was protection, that truth meant justice would be forthcoming," Krone said. "I am going to do everything that I can to expose the death penalty for what it really is -- a tool used by prosecutors and police to gain career advancement and to put politicians in office."

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Further... Reply with quote

China executes people at the drop of a hat. Once a person is convicted execution takes place almost the next day - debbie

story.news.yahoo.com/news..._penalty_7

U.S. National - AP

Worldwide Executions Down in 2002

Fri Apr 11,12:53 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The number of people executed by governments worldwide fell dramatically last year, but increased in the United States, which is the only known country to apply the death penalty for crimes committed as juveniles, Amnesty International reported Friday.

The report, "Death Penalty Worldwide: Developments in 2002," said that 1,526 people were known to be executed in 31 countries in 2002. China, Iran and the United States accounted for 81 percent of all executions.

The worldwide total is down from 3,048 executions in 2001, mainly because of a sharp drop in Chinese executions. Amnesty counted 2,468 executions in China in 2001. The total fell to 1,060 in 2002.

China implemented a "strike hard" policy in 2001 that imposed death sentences on people convicted of lesser crimes and resulted in a surge in executions, according to Amnesty spokesman Alistair Hodgett.

Iran had the second-most executions last year, 113, followed by the United States with 71, according to the report. The U.S. total was an increase of five from the previous year.

Cyprus, Serbia and Montenegro abolished capital punishment, while Turkey abolished the death penalty in practice, according to the report.

Last year, the United States was the only known country to execute people who committed crimes as juveniles.

"This blight on our country's human rights record belies our claim to be an international human rights defender," said William F. Schulz, executive director of Amnesty International USA.

According to the Death Penalty Information Center, the three people put to death for juvenile crimes were:

_Napoleon Beazley, 17 at the time of his crime, 25 when put to death.

_T.J. Jones, 17 at the time of his crime, 25 when put to death.

_Toronto Patterson, 17 at the time of his crime, 24 when put to death.

But under Texas law, the three were not considered as juveniles. Texas considers 16-year-olds as adults, and in that state a person convicted of capital murder can get the death penalty for a crime committed at age 17.

The Supreme Court last year barred the execution of mentally retarded killers as unconstitutional but is sharply split over whether states should be allowed to use capital punishment for people who were juveniles when they committed their crimes. Four justices have called the executions "shameful," but they do not have a fifth vote to stop them.

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Here in America we execute murderers. Reply with quote

We do not execute political prisoners. China and Iran execute political prisoners. Don't lump us with China and Iran.

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: And if some dumb kid is smart enough to kill, Reply with quote

that dumb kid is smart enough to be executed.

I have no problem at all with the execution of murderers of any age. I had a gun stuck in my face by a teenager once.

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: And if some dumb kid is smart enough to kill, Reply with quote

I agree with Larree in that there are circumstances that call for the death penalty. Terrorists and repeat murderers fall into this category as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I'd add is that if a teen commits murder, they also should throw his/her parents in prison for awhile.

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: I strongly disagree. Reply with quote

"...if a teen commits murder, they also should throw his/her parents in prison for awhile."

Most of the time the parents are the last ones to know that their kid is a worthless sh*t.

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: However, if the parent is an accessary... Reply with quote

Lock em up!

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Bottom Line... Reply with quote

and if ya don't like it, then...

:D

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Death Penalty Reply with quote

I'd only be comfortable with the death penalty if I was 100% certain the guy did it and had a fair trial.

As for China's justice system... :aua

This is not a thread meant to throw stones. I just thought it was an interesting article. Note the huge difference between the China deaths and the rest, though I suppose its not that startling when you consider the population size.

Gosh you guys are touchy...

Edited by: debbie mannas at: 4/13/03 1:25:46 am
Phil Frazier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Death Penalty Reply with quote

I'd only be comfortable with the death penalty if I was 100% certain the guy did it and had a fair trial.

If only things were that simple.

Phil on Artistlaunch

Phil on 1Sound

IntoMusic.co.uk

Sound Click

BeSonic

GetMeMusic

Social Spit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: "This is not a thread meant to throw stones." Reply with quote

Yah? Then why did you throw them then?

I swear, you post the most antagonistic crap of anyone else in here.

Over here we have DUE PROCESS, China does NOT have it.

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: "This is not a thread meant to throw stones." Reply with quote

You are right. China does not have "rule of law". Its scary. They have the death penalty for a good many things, not only murder.

Why are my posts antagonistic crap? This is what the rest of the world is seeing and forming their opinions. I have big big questions on the use of force and DU, which it seems many people don't know about or want to question. Does that make it 'crap'? It's simply uncomfortable, I know, and I'm sorry. Its nothing personal.

But perhaps this post is in the wrong forum cause it doesnt discuss the war. Chris, Mike, can you move it to the blah blah board? Cheers

Phil, of course, you are right too. By 100% certain I mean DNA testing and evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt, or an unforced confession. This is very hard to find, isnt it? A lot of people are now being cleared through DNA testing. Imagine the rest who've been killed who might have been innocent.

As to fair trials and due process, the US is the world's only superpower, so one would expect nothing less.

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Kids Reply with quote

I think kids start showing their nature at a very young age. I guess this can be changed with solid guidance, time and love -but I'm also a very firm believer in discipline. I believe that kids by the time they're 7 or 8 (perhaps younger too) know perfectly well what is right and wrong and how to manipulate people, if they're so inclined (for example sociopaths). What makes kids scary is youthful lack of fear so they act with impunity.

Remember the case where these two kids tortured a little kid and threw him on the tracks? I believe this was in the UK. Well, they're free now and their names have changed to protect their identity... I TOTALLY disagree with this.

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: OMG! Really? Reply with quote

"Remember the case where these two kids tortured a little kid and threw him on the tracks? I believe this was in the UK. Well, they're free now and their names have changed to protect their identity... I TOTALLY disagree with this."

That is so totally forked up. That would never happen here in America. Those little @#%$ kids should fry for what they did.

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Oh Absolutely Reply with quote

Like you, I feel very strongly about how violence blossoms from childhood. I dont believe parents should be thrown into prison for reprimanding their children with a smack on their hands or bottom.

I feel strongly about how watching violence on TV affects kids too.

I believe there is evil in people. In my own life I have known three people who loved to watch others squirm, and played power games with them for the thrill. I believe Saddam was such a type of evil person, except he could act with impunity, so his manner of exhibiting such evil was far far worse, just because he could.

Anyway, here's more about the Bulger case.

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/sto...06,00.html

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: