MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

So I can let you guys hear the interview?? Anyone know?!??!

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

Netjams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

Hiya Chris,

What I'd do is record it on tape and feed an audio-analog signal right into the soundcard-audio in. Then I'd crank up Real Producer 8.5 (freebie version) to convert the audio to .ra.

To make it stream is pretty simple - you just use notepad to write the URL of the .ra (sound) file and instead of keeping it as a text file rename the extension to .ram . The .ram fiile, when accessed by a real player, opens the ra. file.

Real has diff encoding rates, otherwise the file would be unmanagable in size. I've heard a 25 min concert where the filesize was 2 megs, so that wasn't bad. But the quality of Real at such a rate left a lot to be desired in the music reproduction! If you're going for primarily highlighting the voice at that encode rate, it's dandy.

I have two Real encoder progs, I think. The mentioned "RealProducer 8" and the old Real Encoder 2. If you require any assistance/software, we can exchange email.

By way of one example, the snippet of the Sister's "Dreaming" at ronsarea.8k.com/sos/dreaming.html was encoded using RealProducer. The encoding is: low response 16k, "Real Audio 3". (higher speed makes a bigger file). The sample is 104,164 k in size and lasts 52 seconds.

I don't know the length of the programme, but I suppose you've edited out such things as bumper music and station promos. At any rate, just gimme a shout if I may be of assistance. "Real" format is kind of a trade-off of size and quality issues, but it is a relatively simple to learn to encode. Though their (RealPlayer) newer software does usually way to much "PC hogging", trying to insinuate itself in everything but being the default solitaire player!

What is the time length that we're talking about here?

==ron==

Edited by: RonOnGuitar at: 3/28/03 1:46:26 am
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

boink!

|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

Oh yeah, another option: feed the sound into CoolEdit. CoolEdit 96 (working demo) will convert ('save as")a wav to to the Real format. I usually use CoolEdit Pro 2 - a newer release - but I don't see that Real encode/save option in it.

==ron==

Netjams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

My sound card will record anything my speakers play but I can't fing the interview in the archives to do it.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

Ron! I should have made my question more clear! You are such a helpful wonderful man!

You see that guitar competition interview - not many people caught it live and many seem to be having trouble tuning into the archive. I thought if I could figure out a way to record it as it's streaming on my computer - I can then make mp3 files for the interested masses. Any advice on doing it that way?

Oh Netjams! If only that bad bad man hadn't deliberately switched the show around. We were meant to be first grrrrrrr

|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

<<You are such a helpful wonderful man!>>

Hahaaahaaa! On rare occasions I may be, Chris.!! Otherwise, it's pretty iffy, hahaa!

Yes, I knew you were speaking of the Pierre Trembley (sp?) "Cantonese Guitar "Awards". I'm at dial up myself, so I couldn't access the file and give a listen earlier.

I also use "Audio Record Wizard" which takes the audio real-time from whatever source - speakers, input, etc. and then converts into it into a MP3. You could record it in one humogous mp3 (prob not a good idea) or just grab individual shorter lengths e.g. 5-10 min snips as mp3s? Does that sound like it may be of any use or no?

==ron==

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

Chris - you should have mail at toshazza from my AOL addy.

==ron==

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

RON! You are a darling! Even though you are on a dial-up you emailed the program to me!!!!!

I'm going to see if I can record clips of the interview now - wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

|

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

You're more than welcome, Chris. :boink

If something doesn't click quite right, just gimme a shout. I think if you play with the settings ("options" button) , it doesn't take long to figure out what's what . I believe you mentioned somewhere about using Win98 - also my OS, so compatibility shouldn't be a prob.

Hope you can have some fun with it!

==Ron==

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: HOW CAN I RECORD A STREAMING REAL FILE? Reply with quote

Thanks Ron! Just recorded three segments and now the server is full capacity - so I will add these links to the guitar comp thread in a few minutes. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I hope everyone enjoys listening to them!

|

larreeemp3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: I hope everyone enjoys listening to them! Reply with quote

Even me?

LarreeMP3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: How did I get three E's ??? Reply with quote

:gl

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: How did I get three E's ??? Reply with quote

Check out the guitar competition thread!

|

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: