MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

i'm cluesless about this.. wireless internet??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorn Lavoll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: i'm cluesless about this.. wireless internet?? Reply with quote

if a room-mate of mine has wireless internet... and i have a laptop that i want to get online... what do i need? i've seen some usb thingies that look like pen drives.. will they do?

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm cluesless about this.. wireless internet?? Reply with quote

Well, what you need is a wireless LAN card and an account! LOL

Jorn Lavoll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm cluesless about this.. wireless internet?? Reply with quote

what kind of an account? isnt the idea with these things that you just have to be near a uhh... "box" to connect to it? :)

it think they said that other people have just been there with their laptops and were able to connect just fine..?

do the USB dongle thingies do the same as the card you showed a picture of?

Jorn Lavoll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm cluesless about this.. wireless internet?? Reply with quote

www.komplett.no/k/kl.asp?bn=10279

will anything on that list do it for me?

Sterling30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Stay away from the cards... Reply with quote

This is much better..

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009X6PH/ref=pd_sbs_e_3/104-4923267-6919132?v=glance&s=electronics

Edited by: Sterling30 at: 3/30/05 14:40
ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stay away from the cards... Reply with quote

I use wireless at home and its the best thing since sliced bread!! :) ...

get a decent one tho..... the first one we got hardly transmitted 10 feet, never mind the 100ft it was supposed to!! :)

Paul

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stay away from the cards... Reply with quote

Quote:
Jorn Lavoll

what kind of an account? isnt the idea with these things that you just have to be near a uhh... "box" to connect to it?

"Hot-Spot" Jorn, "hot spot" :D

Where does a "hot-spot" come from?

Yes, from an ISP or a private/industrial driven network with routers (equipped with Wireless Lan protocol).

So you'll need either a ISP "Wireless Lan" account, or from the system admin of a private/industrial network.

Why should anybody let you surf for free? LOL

So you need an account :)

Sterling30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stay away from the cards... Reply with quote

Not here you don't, there are free signals everwhere. Hotels, businesses, universitys, apt. complexes, ect. 90% of the time I'm on wireless I have several free signals to choose from. We have entire citys wired for free access here there's more coming all the time.

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stay away from the cards... Reply with quote

Quote:
Why should anybody let you surf for free?

In the small city where one of my brothers lives, the city provides wireless at the cost of $USD 15.00 month.

What will be cool is when internet telephone gets more common, MIke - then I'll be able to afford to call you and yell at you until my German runs out!!! hahaha!

(After about 3 minutes, I'd be out of all the German phrases I know)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: