MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Any of you seen TROY?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

That was a great movie...

I hadn't heard anything about it, since I never watch tv, but when I was in Walmart, the guy was telling me about it.

I read the Iliad a couple of years ago in Western Wortld Lit. and liked it alot.

I was concerned that the movie would stray from the original story, but it was dead on accurate.

Even the part when Achilles drags Hector's body around the ground tied to his chariot. I thought they might censor that a little, being the US and all...

I recommend this film to anyone interested in The Iliad.

ilikepie2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

i was sort of obsessed with the illiad for a long long time. i used to slip in references to it in some of my songs too. one time someone even asked me about one of those lines and if i'd ever read the illiad and that made me happy.

i'll have to go check it out sometime.

Bud Bennett

homepage :

stained glass :

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

It completely kicks you-know-what...

No modernization of anything (except effects).

No americanization... Just a good damn story.

The fighting is real.

Only difference I noticed was the gods made no appearance. In the version I read, Apollo rained arrows down on the greeks (if I remember it right).

The only goddess shown was Achilles' mother (was it Thetis?).

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

I saw this at the cinema and enjoyed it. I knew the story vaguely so it was OK. I heard that they got a lot of 'historical' details wrong, about the coins on dead bodies etc.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

I didn't read the whole story, so I don't know. That may have been part of the story...

I read a condensed version...

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

Quote:
I read a condensed version...

Well, even the condensed version would have mentioned the fact that the siege of Ilium (Troy) went on for ten years.

Chryseide is there under another name and she has no sister.

Hector and Paris doesn't have any brother.

Nevertheless, I liked the movie.

Uncle Argyle from Braveheart (Cox) as Agamemnon saying "I like your land!" cracked me up. ;)

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

"Chryseide is there under another name and she has no sister.

Hector and Paris doesn't have any brother."

What are you talking about?

Briseis? That was her name in the story I read...

I didn't see a sister, though. Are you talking about Hector's wife?

Galmin
The King has spoken!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

In Iliados (the Iliad), Chryseide (Chryseis - Daughter of a VIP[Chryses, priest of Apollo] and beloved by the Gods- See 'Trolois and Chryseide' for reference) is taken as a slave by Agamemnon. Chryses tries to buy her free but Agamemnon give him some free humiliation instead. Apollon is not amused and send the Greeks the plague in payment, not to be lifted until Chryseide is freed.

Briseis otoh, was already Achilles slave [loot from when he sacked Lyrnessus, where he also killer her husband {King Mynes} and her three brothers] and Agamemnon think taking her away from Achilles will show him who's the boss so he will join the fighting again (somehow Aga think he's hatched a great idea and gives the following order just after he has sent Odysseus to take Chryseide back to her father):

"Go to the hut of Achilles, take the lady Briseis into your custody, and bring her here. If he refuses to let her go, I will myself go with a larger company and take her, which will be all the worse for him."

It kind of escalates from there...

In the movie, Briseis is the cousin of Hector and Paris. King Priam (who in the Iliad has many daughters [the most nameworthy being Cassandra ] and about 50 sons!) is her uncle.

Here's a short version of the violent beach launch in the movie:

PATROCLUS: I wanna go fiiiiiiiight!

ACHILLES: Siddown and guard the boat, kid.

EUDORUS: So basically, fifty Myrmidons are going to run out onto the beach with a frillion Trojan archers watching, and no one's got our back.

ACHILLES: Pretty much.

EUDORUS: You wanna do that turtle thing with our shields?

ACHILLES: Nah, I figure I'll wait until half of us get killed before we do that.

EUDORUS: Oh... okay.

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

Ok, I remember that now...

axella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

I saw it when I was on holiday in NY, in a freezing-cold cinema (it was quite warm outside that night). The shivering and teeth-chattering detracted from the experience, and made the movie seem like it was 6 hours long!

A friend of mine rented a copy last month, and we both fell asleep watching it!

I thought Eric Bana was great in it.

As for historical inaccuracies, that's Hollywood for you. To use a cliche, they never let the truth get in the way of a good story! Look at what they did to Braveheart, after all...

I remember reading an article about Maria von Trapp (from "The Sound of Music"). She said how absurd it was that they stuck a mountain in the middle of Salzburg, but she said, "You have to allow Hollywood to do a little Hollywooding". :)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

That's interesting you brought up Sound of Music, that's one of my all time favourite classics! I thought EVERYTHING was true about it! Best get a biography on the family then.....

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

I watched "Jason & the Argonauts" the next day.

I had a Greek Mythology weekend...

Now I am reading "Medea". It goes beyond the movie. Jason turns out to be a scumbag, LMAO...

axella

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

I saw the original "Jason and the Argonauts" on TV when I was a kid, and I never forgot the scene where the skeletons come out of the ground, take up swords and shields, and fight! And if it comes on now, I watch it, and still love the fighting skeletons! :D

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you seen TROY? Reply with quote

Yeah, that and Talos...

I liked Talos, the bronze giant.

Although he's not a giant in literature. Just the movie...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: