MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

2005 is shaping up well.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Besides 2 of my tunes being used in "Rest Stop", just got this today.....

Quote:

Hello Mike,

You wrote us a few weeks ago concerning placement of your music in our horror film.

An opportunity has arisen where we need to replace two of the songs in the film.

We have reviewed your music and are interested in using "Hong Kong Hustle" and "Scuttlebutt Strut".

I cannot afford to pay you up front for your music, but, as I am doing with all artists, will be giving points for any possible future sales. You should know, however, that low-budget horror films like this one almost never make money; instead, they can be/are used as "calling cards" for better prospects for all of us in the future. This could lead to some major money down the road.

All of the artists are using the same agreement and a few of them have run it by the legal beagles and it most definitely ensures you of keeping full ownership of your songs. I will be happy to provide a copy of the agreement via email so you can look it over.

Please note that I am using my full, private email address above.

Best Regards,

Edward Reasor, Director

Ahhh....nothing ventured, nothing gained.

:me :g

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Cool beans! Nothing wrong with getting all the credits you can eat, Seismo.

One idea I might toss out, though, is to have your own "usage agreement" by way of clearance for those asking to use your music.

Maybe whomp up a simple Standard Seismo Form with the names, dates, song(s) & specific use (film, TV, radio, cover, whatever) and the time period the usage covers. And of course renumeration, heh heh heh.

In this case you & he define "future sales" - actual % of box, filmprint - tape - DVD - internet sales , % of advance from release/purchase by a Big Fish film co., whatever.

If ya rent a po box you can even "DBA" as United Seismo Music Worldwide Int'l or something cool sounding to put at the top of your agreement, lol.

Just my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation).

Edited by: RonOnGuitar at: 12/30/04 1:44
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent idea to me, bro...... :thumb

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Quote:

A quick synopsis of the storyline: some college students play a gameboard from an ancient Egyptian city. The winner of the game gets to rule the Egyptian Underworld for the next 1,000 years (or so her archeologist father says). Our winner is trapped in a sarcophagus while she is embalmed alive in preparation for her descent into the Underworld. She has seven days. Initially, she thinks the other kids are playing a prank on her. She uses her cell phone to try and get help and each person she calls ends up biting the bullet based on the state she is in (lonely, sad, panic, heat, hallucination, resignation, suffocation) - one for each day. Surprise ending. Visual style is similar to "The Ring."

The film is 82 minutes (approximately).

Trailer:

HERE

I know......it ain't a multi-million dollar flick, but it's a start!!!

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Dude... That looks pretty bad.

Those people can't act worth a (insert bad word here)...

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Seismo - I was brought up to do most casual biz like my Daddy did, where a handshake deal is really all you need. Word gets around quick if a guy reneges that his word is no good.

But I've done a bit of ent-arts related paperwork in my days, so it's sometimes almost a compulsive thing with me, hahaha!

Also, it's nice to be able to say, "thanks for the contract, I'll check it over, put my John Hancock on it and get it back to you. Here's my standard Usage Contract - feel free to ask any questions, if it looks OK just do your John Hancock thing, get it back to me and we're in business!"

It's common for the music source (artist, writer) to have such a simple form for video, film, TV producers to sign. Unless the artist has a publisher and/or BMI (or ASCAP, SESAC) to adminster clearance & usage rights. Many are self-publishers.

But since we're talking "for credit & exposure - unless buck$ are made" here, it's as already know not a bigee.

The one thing I would add is specificity in the titling credit(s).

e.g.

============

"My Song" & "My Other Song"

Written and performed by Me

Copyright 2005 Me ( Or "My impressive DBA company name")

Now available at label, website URL, a box in my basement, etc.

============

But in all likelyhood everything I've suggested here you already knew way back when anyway, lol!

When I work with a non-profit film or video production or a do a just4-the-helluvit handshake type deal, I expect as payment either a credit and/or to "have my hand in it" -literally.

e.g. in a 16mm film I assisted with way back in the day, there's an "insert shot" of my hand pouring a glass of beer.

It's fun to say "Yeah, I had a hand in that vid-film production". That personal in-joke is more enjoyable for me than a credit actually! :D

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Quote:
That looks pretty bad

Cy Borg Sixty-Eight -

Trust me - I've worked on a thing or two that makes this clip look like a surefire Oscar winner!

And for the low budget, amateur actors and all, it seems good enough. Especially if you are into the on-the-cheap thriller genre.

Hey Seismo, is that a track of yours used in this trailer? It works well.

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

It is bad.......but I'll take it.

Try getting a tune in one.

:lol

Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Yeah...

I had someone that was gonna use some of my stuff for a video game, but it fell through.

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Yeah, I think this is great experience for ya, Seismo! And it's fun, to boot.

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

He plans 4 more this year, so I'm In Like Flint on those......maybe somewhere along the line something good will come of it.....

Hell, at least I get to see my name in the credits....... :D

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Quote:
He plans 4 more this year, so I'm In Like Flint on those

Pretty groovy, S-man!

Do you know which format he uses to shoot with? It looked like film in the trailer. And filmmaking is expensive compared to either analog or digital video, you can't re-use film!

Of course, you can also shoot a "film" on video and have it converted to film (ala "Blair Witch").

Hey, Seismo, maybe you could score an entire film, if you're up to it.

You get some video footage, crank up your recording software/hardware/machine, watch the scenes, think up what should go with the action and lay down some ideas for a given scene(s).

If he is using film, he may shoot scenes on video first to get an idea of what he'll want to get on film.

Some filmmakers mount a video-cam next to/above the film camera while they're shooting. That's really handy for quick rushes or dailys.

With film, ya gotta wait for it to be developed and wait till the next day to view the rushes/dailys. With video you just run the a/v into a monitor and hit "rewind" , lol.

Anyway, it'd be mighty cool to see "Score by Seismo" in the opening creds of a flick! Wheee!!

BTW, "In Like Flint" is a great James Coburn movie, along with "Our Man Flint".

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Don't know if I'd have the time to do the whole movie, Ron........wow.....but it would be cool!!

I loved those old Flint movies......Derek Flint was one bad-a$$ mutha..... :D

James Coburn was always one of my favorite older actors...

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

well done Seismic !! :)

Paul

NEW : RHYTHM CALLED LOVE Video

Down And Dirty Video : BITCH Video : LOOK AT ME Video

Business As Usual UK

Business As Usual . com

Soundclick

NEW : FAP COMPILATION CD

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 is shaping up well..... Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.. :thumb

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: