MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Pantera guitarist shot dead

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Gunman storms stage, kills 4 at Ohio nightclub

Police officer shoots suspect to death

Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 1841 GMT (0241 HKT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A 25-year-old man stormed the stage at a heavy-metal rock concert Wednesday night, shooting and killing Damageplan guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three others before a police officer shot and killed him, Columbus police said.

On Thursday, police identified the suspect as Nathan Gale of nearby Marysville. A spokesman said police had no information about a motive or possible link to the band.

"Right now we don't see any connection at all, but that could change," Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mull said. "Unless he left a note or there's something else, we may never know the motive."

At least two people also were wounded in the attack, which occurred shortly after Damageplan began its performance at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on Columbus' north side.

James Niggemeyer of the Columbus police was nearby and responded to a call about the shooting. He slipped in a back door, and someone directed him to the stage, Mull said.

"We got the call about 10:18, and by 10:20 he was in there," Mull said, adding that "it was probably less than a minute before he engaged" the suspect, who was holding a hostage.

"The officer was able to strategically gun this guy down before he was able to kill his hostage," Mull said. "It appeared he was about to kill his hostage before this officer put an end to it."

Mull said the hostage was unharmed and that Niggemeyer's action saved lives.

"The officer ran in without any backup ... obviously put himself at risk," he said. "The community has a real hero here."

Abbott, 39, and his brother, Vinnie Paul Abbott, 40, formed Damageplan after the breakup of Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

At least one of those killed -- Nathan Bray, 23 -- was a member of the audience. Mull identified another deceased victim as Erin Halk, 29, although it was unclear if he was a concertgoer or an employee.

Mull did not identify the remaining fatality. Abbott was the only band member confirmed dead "at this point," he said.

One of the wounded is in critical condition, the other hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Two others were hurt and treated at the scene, although the nature of their injuries was unclear.

Mull said homicide detectives are checking possible amateur video shot inside the club during the shooting but said they weren't sure if the footage would be useful.

Police roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot as 60 detectives questioned hundreds of witnesses. Police brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they waited.

Witnesses described the gunman as a heavyset man, wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit in front of the stage shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto [the] stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told CNN affiliate WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised, and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill said the gunman shot Abbott at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage, and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage, and I heard some shots and I saw Vinnie fall, and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything; it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

Mull said Columbus police have responded to previous incidents at the club, including several he characterized as minor as well as a shooting in the parking lot. He said he was unaware of the club's security practices, except that it had no surveillance camera or metal detector.

"They are in charge of their own security inside," he said. "There are times they hire off-duty Columbus police for parking lot security -- we are prohibited by law from working inside a liquor establishment -- but last night there were none."

Infamous Eric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

A sad day for metal fans...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutcity - Project Infamy - Nutcity, Indie Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Song - 192 kb - 24 kb

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

I read that last night. How shocking.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

What a strange World we live in.

Sometimes it's better to not even know about the sadness and Evil...

Be Ostriches, and stick our heads in the sand to hide from it.

On the other hand, sometimes it's good to fight against it.

Not fun, or pretty... but Good...

I heard an interesting quote today... - someone said "If you don't know what to do, do nothing"....

Not sure I agree with that..

*sticks head back in sand - can't handle the craziness in this World...*

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

What a senseless act. For what??

Truly sad.

markhewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

That's sad!

Follow your dreams!

http://www.markhewer.com

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

This is sad. I read that the shooter was obsessed with the group.

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think the leading cause of death for onstage musicians is electrical shock. Gotta watch where you step, what you touch and know what's connected to what!

I've seen a guy's lips turn blue from contact with a mic - I think it wasn't properly grounded. A very minor and temporary shock, but still freaky enough to see!

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

Yeah, Ron....

I've had my lips fried a few times from mics that weren't properly grounded. No fun.

Plus? When your lips hit the mic and you get that 120 volts running through your body?

It's hard to keep your vocal on key.

I imagine it's even harder in Europe, where the power supply is 240 volts.... - Ouch...!

DirkStainly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

What a senseless killing...

lolson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

:bawling

Let there be ®ock

on Interconnected on AcidPlanet with lolson @ home

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pantera guitarist shot dead Reply with quote

Quote:
I've had my lips fried a few times from mics that weren't properly grounded. No fun.

Oh, yeah. After that, we made thingees somewhat like "Dixie paper cups" - only sturdier - to put on the mics so ya couldn't make direct lip2mic contact. They also helped to catch "more vocal", in a unidirectional way.

Quote:
Plus? When your lips hit the mic and you get that 120 volts running through your body?

It's hard to keep your vocal on key.

This is true. But, OTOH, you're able to hit that high C in the "Hallelujah Chorus" for a few secs. It's a trade-off.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: