MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Cassini In Saturn Orbit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Cassini In Saturn Orbit Reply with quote

Quote:

NASA's Cassini probe has become the first spacecraft ever to begin orbiting the giant planet of Saturn about 930 million miles from Earth.

The probe shot through a gap in Saturn's rings and then fired its engine in a critical maneuver to enter Saturn orbit.

"The spacecraft is just really looking solid," Cassini program manager Robert Mitchell said, amid cheers at mission control.

Klaatu, Barada, Nikto... :bcool

:fg

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cassini In Saturn Orbit Reply with quote

Oh well, if I wouldn't know (well, being told) that this is a photograph I would say it's a painting :)

Over the day new photos should be available showing Saturn as never seen before :)

Exciting that is :) )))

MIKE

10 free song uploads||1 free video upload

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I was hoping that the gap in the ring was really a gap, and not just some mistake by someone and full of particles that we could not detect. Titan is the big fish we're all looking to find out more about. This should be interesting.

Not bad for a bunch of "cowboys", eh? ;)

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cassini In Saturn Orbit Reply with quote

Quote:
DreamTone7

Not bad for a bunch of "cowboys", eh?

Grrrrrr..... :)

Well... it's of interest for all people on the globe here to understand the universe.

You brought it up :D so let me mention that I found it rather irritating to see a picture of American scientists on CNN with a giant U.S. flag in the background (you rather saw a U.S. flag than scientists though) obviously denying that the Saturn mission is a cooperation of the USA and 17 (!) European countries. The $3.3 billion mission was funded by NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency.

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cassini In Saturn Orbit Reply with quote

Quote:
You brought it up :D so let me mention that I found it rather irritating to see a picture of American scientists on CNN with a giant U.S. flag in the background (you rather saw a U.S. flag than scientists though) obviously denying that the Saturn mission is a cooperation ofthe USA and 17 (!) European countries. The $3.3 billion mission was funded by NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency.

Exactly.

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cassini In Saturn Orbit Reply with quote

btw. including Germany and Austria....so you´d better not even think of flag waving, Dreamtone, unless you grab all 18!!!

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I knew it'd get a rise out of some folks. Nationalism is alive and breathing! ;)

Your right, of course...it is a joint venture. The probe was not named after an American...wasn't it an Italian astronomer who was busy finding Saturn's moons way back when?

BUT...JPL in Pasadena, California is where the show is being run from. Hence, the reference to "us cowboys". :)

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

"Nationalism is alive and breathing!"

Yeah, but the good thing is, it was only one country so far that started flag waving. There´s hope!:evil

:eyebrow :eyebrow :eyebrow

DreamnTone7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

It could be inferred that the flag was there because it was a US venture (which would be wrong), or you could infer that it was because it was located in the United States. Which you CHOOSE to infer tells more than does the presence of the flag itself.

I can guarentee you that if JPL was in Germany, and there was a German flag in the background, that there would not be a bunch of rabid Americans crying "Foul...we've been wronged!" So, it is not I who has CHOSEN to focus on the flag...:eyebrow

(Note: No intent to imply that anyone on this board is rabid.)

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Nevermind....you gave us the ball, Mike took it and I ...well, was just in the mood to kick it back to you.

:box :g :eyebrow :l

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Sometimes I think we're all just a bunch of stinkers with too much time on our hands. :b

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Well...let me just say, then...

HATS OFF to the ESA, the Italian Space Agency, and NASA, for a Job Well Done...together we can really Kick some Major Ass, eh??

We as Earthers will never be able to accomplish these types of things without this type of cooperation....Star Trek is really not as far-fetched as some believe...

When it comes to Deep Space (and anything else, really...think how great it would be and the accomplishments!!), it's time to put away flags and pride and come together under ONE flag...the flag of EARTH...

Am I right?? :dunno

:thumb

:fg

Watch "The Day The Earth Stood Still"....GREAT message to everyone on the planet still today.

Looking forward to the killer pictures I know Mike will be posting...he is a master at this.

Hwagang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Quote:
We as Earthers will never be able to accomplish these types of things without this type of cooperation....Star Trek is really not as far-fetched as some believe...

...all us Terrans say; yeeeooo yeeeooo...

grouphug!!

/Hwagang

www.hwagang.com/

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Yeah! btw. is there an Earth flag yet?

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

You got it, my brother....

ONE PLANET FOR ALL...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: