MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamTone7

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

SATCH!!! :banana :banana :banana

Well...are you going to tell us about it???

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

So... what did you learn? :) :) :) :)

MIKE

10 free song uploads||1 free video upload

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!! Reply with quote

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!! Reply with quote

Well I was really pleased with the seats that Chris W had brought - we were 3 rows from the front, a little to the left (which meant we had the PA blaring in our left ear!!!) and Joe was so close!! We were told not to take photos - so I couldn't use flash...

He used a backing CD and played around 8 songs - talking about the songs and what scales he uses. He seems to like Lydian and Mixolydian scales a lot!! He talked about harmonics and tapping.

Here's a short .avi video of Joe Satriani that I recorded last night.

Then we had a Question & Answer section - for some reason I was too shy to put my hand up and ask my questions! - he did however stress the importance of warming-up and showed us all those basic exercises that we all learnt at the beginning. When he explained tapping, he said there's one point on each finger that is the best point to tap - you have to experiment to find out. He showed us harmonics. He discussed how he got his crisp lead sound - something to do with a range of 1.5 - 2.25 megahertz (?) and also he was using a delay pedal - I couldn't photograph it beforehand cause he kept it right by his amp. He also had a tube-screamer and a wah-wah pedal. He showed us the difference between hammer-on, hammer-offs and pull-offs.

He explained that he studied music theory at school when he was a teenager and how it helped him realise things about music. His guitar idol is Jimi Hendrix. And he stressed how important it is to know your scales. He looked so so comfortable playing his guitar.

So what am I going to do? I'm going to learn a new scale!! And practise EVERYDAY! hahahahahaha Chris W said he found the harmonics and tapping stuff good to hear.

I think it was a bargain - HK$80 (US$10) to have seen Joe Satriani play right in front of me! And learnt stuff too.

|Talk Soup |

PANick11

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!! Reply with quote

"""""So what am I going to do? I'm going to learn a new scale!! And practise EVERYDAY! hahahahahaha Chris W said he found the harmonics and tapping stuff good to hear.""""

----------------------------------------------------------

COOL!!!!

Hey...there is a very groovy book called the Guitar Grimore VOL1

www.guitarplace.com/RDVD007.html

really great book...

I loaned my copy out and it never came back,

so I'm glad you posted this because I'm gonna order another one..

Vol 2...the Chord book is probably great too!

I just noticed it...

Knowing chords and voicings unlocks the mystery of how to use all those groovy scales and modes in context

huh?

Congradulations!!!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!! Reply with quote

Hey PANick!!! Thanks for your supportive feedback!! I couldn't order from that link you gave me and I went over to amazon to check it out and one reviewer wrote this: This DVD might have had good promise if only they had not presented it as though the devil or one of his cohorts were teaching guitar. I honestly could not watch the DVD because of the evil portrayal of the instruction.

Huh???

|Talk Soup |

PANick11

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!! Reply with quote

HA HA!!!

actually the BOOK is what I liked....

watching DVDs about scales and modes is more trouble that it's worth..

I like to read...

The reviewer is ignorant, the term "grimoire" is the term that the word "grammer" comes from..

I suppose in the dark ages any type or writing was considered magic...that's why they call it a "spell"..

huh?

a Grimoire is a book wherein a knowledgable person commits their thoughts and solutions to the fitfull and uncertain gulfs of life....and maybe a poem or two..

:)

so...a book of Scales and Modes is definately a book of wisdom and, to my way of thinking, there is nothing more magical than music!!!!

the title is intended as Humor, as the name of the author.."Adam Kadmon" should indicate..

It's a joke

but it's good joke!!!!

anyway...the title of the book is intended as humor..but it's also supposed to make you think about how magical and wonderfull the arcane knowlege of music is!!!

Edited by: PANick11 at: 5/28/04 7:05
DreamTone7

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I've had a copy of the Grimoire for about ten years. It had disappeared into my book collection, but for some strange reason resurfaced two days ago. I think I'll dig in...but for someone new to it, be careful not to be overwhelmed. There is more info in there than most musicians will ever know...or have the need to. The trick is to try the scales and use the ones that sound cool to you (once you learn how to use them...what chords they work with, etc.)

For those new to different scales, here's a clue. The first note you play in a scale will usually center the ear, and will therefore play a large part in determining what scales will work in a given context. Try this: record a simple series of chord changes (in a major key...not minor) into a looping machine of some kind and set it for continuous repeat. (Some delays will do this for you.) Then, play a major scale over the chord changes and pracitce soloing with it. Next, over the same repeating chords, start soloing off of the 5th note in a major scale of the key the chords are in. Voila!..you are now using the Mixolydian scale. (one of my favorites) If you start off on the 4th note, you will be using Lydian. Lydian is probably Joe's favorite scale...it's all over most of his tunes. He uses many others too, but this is a good place to start. You really have to try it over chords to get a feel for how it sounds and how to use it...just practicing the scales won't get you there (unless you're Mozart!) Hope this helps.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, and thanx for the report!

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Interesting thread...

I've never really studied modes...(too lazy, or simple minded I guess)...I mainly stick to major, minor, blues, or pentatonic scales.....

And I often play with arpeggios of the chords being played....

But this little discussion has piqued my interest... - I'm gonna pull out some of my theory books...

(Cool video, Chris - that was fun to watch & hear...)

I'm certainly not one to advise anyone how to improve their guitar playing, but for me the most enjoyable form of study has been to choose a solo by another artist that I love, which challenges me a bit, then learning it by ear. Then practicing as much as it takes to sound like the original.

That teaches theory itself, if you pay attention to how the notes relate to the chords/key....

And concentrating on learning solos that you really love will help you develop your own style, one representative of your own personal tastes...

It also teaches technique..(hammer-ons/off, bending, sliding, touch, picking....)

Also, if you practice with your amp & pedals, and try to duplicate the tone of the original, it can help you learn your gear better....

The main thing is that I find it a lot more fun than scales, so I'm inclined to practice longer...

The Real boogaboo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Hey that was cool Chris! :dang

You're right, he looks very at ease playing the guitar, that is always the mark of the greats I think

Indies are changing the way music Feels

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess who's guitar clinic I went to this evening!!!! Reply with quote

So PANick you recommend the book over the DVD - that makes sense! I'll order it!

Hey Dreamtone7 - thank you for the great advice!! I can do that no problem - the chord progressions being recorded makes sense actually - wooooooohooooooooooo

And more great advice from Drooly! Thank you!

Hey Boog! Glad you enjoyed my report :banana

|Talk Soup |

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

chris - BTW, the name of the tune you put up the link to is called "Satch Boogie" (where he gets his nickname from). It's off his Album "Surfing with the Alien"...an older album of his, but one of my alltime faves. Wish I could have been there. :insane

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

I have some of his songs which Seismic passed onto me. I think his techniques are excellent. I don't think his songs are all that great although "Satch Boogie" was really good! What do you reckon?

|Talk Soup |

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I really like "Satch Boogie"...though it does remind me of something from old Van Halen. My favorite CD of his is "The Extremist". It has a song on it about his wife called "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness" that never fails to send chills up my spine at the crescendo. My musical taste is a little different from the average "rocker" though...so YMMV (your mileage may vary). Another song on there that I really like is "Crying". Very emotionally moving.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

That's one album Seismic DIDN'T give me! Do you like Stevie Ray Vaughn?

|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: