MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Kuwait bans women from singing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

Unreal....and Sad.

:dunno

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

Thanks for the word "Unreal", I was looking for it..........

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

You're welcome, man....always happy to be of help to whomever. :thumb

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

Quote:
Monday, 24 May, 2004, 21:07 GMT 22:07 UK

Religious authorities in Kuwait have reportedly banned concerts with women singers as "un-Islamic" following an outcry over a Lebanese TV talent show.

Forbidden acts include "women singing to men... mixing between the sexes when women reveal part of their body, and using vulgar words and dancing".

The fatwa was published by Kuwait's Islamic Affairs ministry, AFP reported.

The ministry was responding to pressure by Islamist MPs to ban a show featuring winners of the Star Academy series.

Star Academy is based on a hit French TV show of the same name in which male and female teenagers from different Arab countries live together before competing in a talent contest.

A Star Academy concert did take place in Kuwait on 6 May, despite demonstrations by hundreds of Islamist activists.

However, chief opponent Walid Tabtabai MP had threatened to grill Kuwait's information minister in parliament over the matter.

Correspondents say Kuwait has bowed to Islamists' pressure by tightening controls on public concerts, banning all forms of dance and forcing families and unaccompanied men to sit separately while attending.

"It is not allowed for any party to organise a concert by Star Academy, or under any other name, as long as they include practices forbidden by Islam," the fatwa, or religious edict, reportedly said.

"It is also forbidden to attend or watch these concerts, and provide any assistance or invest in them," it added.

Since a Pop Idol-style talent show was first broadcast on an Arab satellite TV station in 2003, reality programmes have proved hugely popular with Middle East audiences - providing a welcome escape from the harsh realities of the conflict-scarred region.

However, the formats popular in the West have frequently fallen foul of strict Islamic codes of decency in some Arab countries.

A version of Big Brother was taken off air in February after a huge public outcry in Bahrain where it was being filmed.

MIKE

10 free song uploads||1 free video upload

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

Interesting article. That's sad that they can't sing but I think this is more about no reality TV and talent show programs/concerts?

They will still allow singing in the Mosques no doubt.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: women in mosques... Reply with quote

they arent allowed in the same part as the men... even in moderate Islamic countries. I dont think they sing in mosques - cept the prayers.

This is very sad. As the resentment against the west grows all things associated with it will be eradicated and women will bear the brunt. :seismo

:stress

In college, we were a bunch of girls who used to hang out - a couple of Hindus, me catholic, another protestant, and one Muslim girl. My muslim friend used to wear jeans and t-shirts like the rest of us, we used to discuss all manner of things and generally have heaps of fun. Then she got married to someone she'd only met once (and they are deeply in love), moved to the UAE and now has two kids. She is still quite a modern woman, but now she covers her head in front of men and has her girls do the same. Its voluntary. I dont understand it, but I have to respect it. Its strange. We grew up together and neither she nor her parents were like that. May be living in India is different for Muslims living in the middle east? I felt sad. :dunno

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: women in mosques... Reply with quote

I can live with any kind of behaviour, as long as it's voluntary, and doesn't hurt anyone else......

What I can't understand is people who think they have the right to tell others how to live......

How DARE "religious authorities" assume they can "forbid" Women to sing in front of men?????

Who the Hell gave them the right to forbid?

Peh...!!

I spit on their "authority"..............

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: women in mosques... Reply with quote

Hey Debbie - the same thing happened to me!! A Moslem friend of mine, is totally into covering up as she's also taught her daughter - we used to go out together as teens. I also have a Christian friend who was wilder than the rest of us (more colours in her hair, more and bigger tattoos than me) but now she goes to church as much as possible, preaches about God all the time and doesn't read anything apart from the Bible and is always ready to discuss God/Jesus with me.... The choices that we make are choices that we make. No one but yourself knows if you make that choice willingly or not....

Drooly - your comment - What I can't understand is people who think they have the right to tell others how to live...... happens all the time in every culture, in every country and every political sense.... Sometimes it's needed, I'd let the women sing but ban the crap reality programmes..!

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: women in mosques... Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd let the women sing but ban the crap reality programmes..!

ok - you were kidding there, right?

I can't see you banning anything....

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

Quote:
Kuwait bans women from singing

They must have heard Avril Lavigne..... :aua

I agree with Chris, the "reality shows" can go to Hades in a handbasket as far as I'm concerned. They're not about "reality" at all - people eating cockroaches to see who's the most X-treme, girls living in mansions & fighting to see which one gets the "millionaire", etc. Yuck!!!

(actually, I kinda like some of Avril's stuff)

carol lowery

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kuwait bans women from singing Reply with quote

seems to me, several years back, some countries were killing baby girls due to overpopulation problems, and some over poverty problems, now that is a cry for help, simply terrible to only single out women in any country, and i dont care where you are from

carol lowery styles

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: women in mosques... Reply with quote

Quote:
they arent allowed in the same part as the men... even in moderate Islamic countries. I dont think they sing in mosques - cept the prayers.

Debbie - My buddy who married the lass from Madras (and thought he was Indian for awhile, ha!) worked with a Indian evangelist(non-denominational), going around and having meetings. He was telling me about how, in at least one instance, the meeting was the first where men & women were not seperated.

BTW, is there a different word in Hindi or other Indian language for "India" & "Indian" that Indians use? Just curious, since Native Ameircans also got tagged with the same term by a confused Columbus.

And, of course, "Americans" are so named after an Italian, Amerigo Vespucci !!

carol lowery

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: women in mosques... Reply with quote

LOLOLOLLOLLO

jees, another history lesson

carol lowery styles

one penny

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: women in mosques... Reply with quote

Mike :angel Looks like we wont be playing there then:bmutant

:bawling

Lol Rory

HKRockChick
No More Peas!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

Hiya all!

Ron, I'm not sure about the segregation bit in christianity. Where I go to church there's no segregation at all :dunno

As to languages, there are about 18 or more official languages in india. Not dialects, but real languages. There are thousands of dialects. Before India became the US of India (heh) it was a bunch of many different states, each ruled by a different king, with its own language, laws, etc etc. Then the British colonised india, and the whole thing became one. However, its still pretty much like the US in concept - there is a central govt, and there are state govts. States still have their own food, culture, laws, languages, taxes etc, and if you cross the border from one state to the other, the language of all the signage changes!

The two official languages are Hindi and English. English is the business language. So if you know English you'll pretty much get by anywhere.

Most of the muslims in india are Sunni - the less rigid of the two sects. India was historically actually one of the most sexually uninhibited countries in the world - remember the kamasutra... and you only have to take a tour of the ancient caves, carvings and temples to realise this, but after the mughul invasion we got the segregation issue, suppression of womens rights, and basically all the joy taken out of it, after which came the victorian era... hooo boy.

Anyway, things be looking up now! We still have some caste and dowry issue. Parents and societal norms are still the controlling factors in people's behaviour, but by and large its a free country.

Chris! yeah, I guess when things are done voluntarily you have to respect that. I dont fancy getting preached at though. I had one bible thumping christian evangelist moralist twerp go on an on about how Christ was a "warrior" (ugh) and would have condoned these wars. So I picked every opportunity to point out teachings which said the opposite. He bashed gays and said they were evil people who'd go to hell, even wrote a whole paper about it, quoting leviticus and everything, truly an unpleasant most unchristian character... (and the funny thing was that a mutual friend that he sang the praises of 24/7 was gay, only he didnt know it, but I did. I so badly wanted to tell him, but didnt, left it up to the friend - that was a test of will!). It really takes all kinds I guess!

:gl

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: