MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

OMD charts and stats....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Time

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: OMD charts and stats.... Reply with quote

Well, Drooly, if you saw the Wailing Hobos on some radio station list, it means you are getting exposure, might sell some CDs.

Plays are plays, a lot of real radio charts are based on playlists. OMD charts are based on plays.

Certainly if you put songs on your page and a lot of people listen, that's a good thing. Then you get on the charts and other people listen. Some might buy a CD. Some people get nice gigs from success on OMD charts too.

Just because there WERE gamers, doesn't mean it's all gamed. It's not. There are a lot of honorable artists.

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: OMD charts and stats.... Reply with quote

I don't want to be negative here, but I still don't get it.....

Why does anyone care about OMD charts or stats???

When the number of plays is considered, then gaming becomes an issue....- which makes the whole thing meaningless....

The only "charts" that have any meaning to me is the actual number of CDs sold. To strangers, who shell out real money because they like the music.

All these OMD charts are just smoke and mirrors.....

sorry - that was a negative post.... - but it's an issue that makes me wonder......

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: OMD charts and stats.... Reply with quote

Quote:
a lot of real radio charts are based on playlists

Unless the station is independently financed, MOST radio stations are told what songs to play. The big record companies pay large amounts of money to ensure their songs are saturating the airwaves.

So when you hear Britney Spears on your radio station it's not really cause the DJ thinks she's got a great new song, it's cause he's been TOLD to play her. They have playlists of songs they MUST play during their show. Amazing. Of course that's not gaming that's 'business'.

OMD charts? I have no idea - I don't know anyone that isn't a musician that goes to mp3.com or other OMDs - well OK maybe a handful but they are usually humouring me or related to me. People DO like being given a beautifully laid out CD with booklet etc. and then they DO listen.

I once announced at a Sisters gig that we were #1 on the mp3.com HK charts - people cheered, then next gig I asked people who had been at that gig if they went to mp3.com - guess what? NOPE! hahahahaha

They want to walk into HMV and see your bandname on THAT chart - then they can point at it and make comments such as "I know that band - the members are friends of mine" hahahahaha They are far more impressed that Jane Eliz was Artist of the Month at HMV Hong Kong than being #1 on some obscure Internet chart....

Of course I may be wrong....

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

Scott Time

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: OMD charts and stats.... Reply with quote

Well, the anons seem to come out in droves to hate me the most when I have a number one, so I think it must mean something. ha ha

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: OMD charts and stats.... Reply with quote

Incisive mind you have there, Miss Bowers.....

uh.

I guess my point was that the only charts that matter to me are created by those who love the music....

I'm so freaking bored with numbers that are manipulated by ego or money....

ack.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: OMD charts and stats.... Reply with quote

Well Scott - plenty of online musicians have #1s and they don't have anons hounding them - food for thought.

Drooly - is there such a chart? At the end of the day music is subjective. You could hate a band but the girl you fall in love is a huge fan - that can change your feelings about the band. You could hate a particular song but you were listening to it when you got your first kiss - now how can you hate that song? etc. etc. If you're in a frantic mood, Linkin Park is probably better to listen to than Billie Holiday etc. etc. Don't want to go on and on here but I think I've just realised that chart positions aren't important to me - they are obviously important to some other people - which is fine. Mostly musicians themselves hahahahaha

I listen to teens talk and they don't say 'This band is excellent - they are #1 on the charts' - they tend to say 'This band is excellent - I love the singer - he's so sexy - you must watch their video for 'x3#&@*^' it's really cool setting' etc. etc. They LOVE it when the bands they like are in the charts but they dont quote their favourite bands chart positions - interesting hey?

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: