MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

BBChris! Virus Alert!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

I believe Debbie Mannas mentioned having a bug, of course she's in HK too.

A bug got on my PC for awhile the other day. It displayed the message "could not find msinfo.dll" when windows started - it set up a new start page in Internet Explorer and my browser ran slow. My antivirus didn't catch it, but I found a nice little program made to specifically find & clean the bug. Worked fine and the PC was back to normal in a minute or two. Otherwise, I rarely ever get a virus.

Llarion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

Hey girlie,

I think that either you, or someone you know locally, has the SoBig virus; I just got a spoofed autoresponder email from a Hong Kong domain claiming I sent the virus to them. It sends the alleged message headers, which of course indicate a mail client that I don't use (the SoBig worm spoofs the sender AND the recipient). You may want to check your system out, and let your friends who may have common mailing list folk know the same.

Hope you check out clean!

You never did say; how was the jacuzzi party? :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The
Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

- He's dead, Jim! You grab his phaser, I'll get his wallet!

a dichotomy of silence - The Debut Smooth Jazz CD from Phil Traynor - now available at www.llarion.com! Click the banner to purchase!

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: I'm clean now... Reply with quote

and I don't have a mailing list in my email accounts, never really have kept one - I'm wary of those because of viruses.

so, it ain't me babe

no no no it ain't me babe...

:eyes

:muede

:wgrin

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: !!! Reply with quote

Phil!! Great to see you! I'm in Thailand at the moment and my computer hasn't been switched on for 12 days so far... I'm totally nervous about switching it on day after tomorrow!! I hope it wasn't me! :eek

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm clean now... Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have a mailing list in my email accounts

Yeah, I rarely use an email program (outlook, eudora) but rather the one bundled with my ISP or sometimes the web-based email. Never get any bugs that way, unless ya open strange attachments from strange people!!

Quote:
so, it ain't me babe

no no no it ain't me babe...

Well, that only leaves about 7 million folks to check out in HK then! :cute

I'm trying to think just off the tip of my noggin how many people have covered "It Ain't Me, Babe" - Johnny Cash, Turtles, Byrds.....

debbie mannas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: MEEEEEEEEEEE Reply with quote

I love that song...

Llarion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

Quote:
and I don't have a mailing list in my email accounts, never really have kept one - I'm wary of those because of viruses.

Doesn't matter if you do keep one or not; this particular SoBig virus, if you have it, grabs any email address it can find on your hard disk; it searches not only your address book, but any cached web pages, any Word or similar documents, anything that can have an address string. :h

Quote:
Yeah, I rarely use an email program (outlook, eudora) but rather the one bundled with my ISP or sometimes the web-based email. Never get any bugs that way, unless ya open strange attachments from strange people!!

Also not entirely true. If you get the Blaster worm, it attakcs not via email, but by TCP/IP. If your system is not protected with a firewall and/or patched for the vulnerability (assuming you're 2000 or XP), the very act of connecting to the net will infect your system inside of 30 seconds on average. It's a TCP port sniffer... >:

Best practice is to run at least one firewall (I run two, the XP built in and Zone Alarm, in addition to my hardware firewall), and make sure your O/S is patched (a new serious flaw was detected, and a patch was issued yesterday morning for XP), and run good antivirus with up to dae data files...

Chris,

Bring me back some sweet and sour!!!

:gl

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The
Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

- He's dead, Jim! You grab his phaser, I'll get his wallet!

a dichotomy of silence - The Debut Smooth Jazz CD from Phil Traynor - now available at www.llarion.com! Click the banner to purchase!

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

Hi Phil! Ate LOADS in Thailand! hahahaha :banana

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

For any interested, maybe these will help you.....

Configuring Windows XP Pro

web.starman.ee/winxp/Conf...%20Pro.rar

Windows XP Inside Out

web.starman.ee/winxp/Wind...%20Out.rar

...and for that "little extra"...

Guide to Securing Microsoft Windows XP Operational Network Evaluations; Division of the Systems and Network Attack Center, NSA (SNAC).

home.planet.nl/~brainwave...aguide.zip

Safe and happy surfing.

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

Quote:
If you get the Blaster worm, it attakcs not via email, but by TCP/IP. If your system is not protected with a firewall and/or patched for the vulnerability (assuming you're 2000 or XP), the very act of connecting to the net will infect your system inside of 30 seconds on average. It's a TCP port sniffer

Hiya Phil,

Nope, don't use Win 2K or XP. Using a major ISP at dialup, I've never had a serious bug. I do run into a bug maybe about once every 2-3 months whilst surfing, tho. My AV prog catches the rascals and cleans 'em in real time. Missed one last week though that gave me the message "msinfo.dll is missing" at Windows start up, the browser was sluggish and the start page was hijacked.I knew it was a bug, but the AV didn't catch it. It was the CoolWebSearch (CWS) hijacker - I did a quick web search and found a nifty little free program that cleaned it up quickly and completely.

But I only rarely have a problem with such nasties!

:gl

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: BBChris! Virus Alert! Reply with quote

Thanks Seismic! :banana

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: