MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Scott Landers; Tha Man Can PLAY....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Scott Landers; Tha Man Can PLAY.... Reply with quote

SCOTT LANDERS WEBSITE

TOTALLY AWESOME LICKS....

...and I admire him for his courage and determination.....check out this Destin, FL newspaper article....

"Finish what ya started....

Destin man hasn't let muscular dystrophy silence his Van Halen-style rock and roll music

By Wendy Victoria

Destin - In the evening, Scott Landers perches on the fattest black recliner imaginable while his mom, Phyllis Landers relaxes on the couch.

She watches televison. He jams on the deep red electric guitar propped on his lap, sliding his pale, slender fingers up and down it's

narrow neck.

With a guitar in his arms, 35-year-old Scott is freed from a body that doesn't heed his commands. He is, almost, Eddie Van Halen.

From across the room, his music whines thinly up and down the music scale.

Through his headphones, it's full volume and he is transformed into a headbanger, complete with the jerks, twitches and facial contortions of a true preformer.

"Sometimes he makes these noises like he's growling or something," Phyllis says. He gets into his music and he doesn't even realize that he's sounding out what he is feeling."

When Scott was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, he was 18 and an aspiring musician in Nashville. His band, Blue Collar, took any and every gig it could get.

"We played some real dives," he recalls, laughing. "You play where you can when you want to be heard."

"We played strawberry festivals, crazy stuff like that. We never really got going. Basically we stayed in the garage alot."

During the day, he worked at the Pizza Inn. After his diagnosis, his doctor made him give up his day job. The disease causes his immune system to attack his muscles.

His legs were the first to go.

"At first, I'd be able to stand and play," he says. "After a while I had to use a stool."

Life went on that way for a long time. Easygoing Scott shrugs and guesses at the dates. He played in the band until, maybe, about 10 years ago. Then, he stopped playing at all. No reason he says. Just didn't want to do it anymore.

Three years ago, his folks moved to Destin, bringing Scott with them.

Then last summer, his nephew visited and brought a guitar.

"I'm like, 'Let me see that thing.'" he recalls. "After I heard him play, I decided to buy a guitar again. I had gotten rid of all my equiment."

During the day, when his parents are gone, he is in his wheelchair and can't hold his guitar in the proper position to play. His arms are not strong enough anymore.

Instead, he gets on the computer, where he chats with other artists and promotes his music.

As soon as his folks get home, they move him into his chair, which is set up next to a table with all his other equipment. Using a hard disk recorder, he can play the bass guitar part of the song, then the lead and rythym parts, then mix it together.

He works on his music four or five hours each night. The result is a collection of rock and roll instrumentals that sounds a lot like Van Halen's music.

Online reviews of his songs have been high. And he is currently talking online with other musicians who wants to collaborate with him.

He's not one to complain about the way things were, all those years before he found his music again.

Life was fine then. It's nice now, too. Ok, maybe a little better now.

"It feels good," he says. "When someone listens to something that you do and says it's good."

"I believe in God and he had a plan for me and this is it. I don't know exactly what's going on, but I'm a laid back kind of guy"

Kudos to you, Scott!!

:bcool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: