MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

ZoneAlarm Pro 4?

Norton Personal Firewall 2003?

McAfee Firewall?

Others I should know about?

Can I have your reasons why? I feel like protecting my business & home computers more efficiently.

Should the firewall be compatitible with one's anti-virus program? I mean should you use the same company for both anti-virus AND firewall??!!!

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

dj spaceAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 + Norton Virus Shild

all in one...and it protect fine :yo :yo :yo

dj spaceAce aka Y-Orbit

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

:aua

Used that Ad-Aware link I sent you, Chris?? :D

I use 2....one is built in by the DSL service provider I use at the server side....I use Zonealarm on the computer....I like it because it tells me when a connection is trying to get out or in, what it is, I can locate the IP and domain of anyone trying to get in, map the location, and report it....

None of them are perfect...they all have their strengths and weaknesses...

Get a good Trojan cleaning proggie, too...I use Norton Antivirus but it will miss some trojans if they are on there...

CHECK THIS LINK...

AND THIS ONE...

Edited by: Seismic Anamoly at: 6/30/03 1:40 pm
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

DJSpaceAce!! Thanks for that input.

Sesimic! Thanks for those links. i think I will go with ZoneAlarm Pro for the office computers. It's cheaper than the Norton :wgrin And both of them seem GREAT~

Thank you guys!

|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Chris - you have WinXP, right?

The firewall that comes bundled with XP is quite good - but you have to actively enable it in your settings.

Have you done that?

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

another security issue with WinXP is to disable filesharing in your security settings...(except when you fileshare...)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

SOME of my work computers have XP - some are Win 98 and some are ME.... talk about a pain in the butt. For work we have to buy REAL software as you know...

So XP has it's own firewall? What's it called? Do you know how to activate it? Is it easy to use? Am I asking too many questions?

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Article about the Firewall included with XP.... Reply with quote

HERE....

It's old but this still holds true....

"In truth, ICF (XP firewall) stops only hostile inbound Internet traffic. The greater danger lies with outbound traffic, viruses, Trojan horses, and adware--all of which can attempt to connect to the Internet without your permission. ICF does nothing to stop these threats."

Zonealarm stops outbound traffic or asks you what to do...

Llarion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Zonealarm was the first of the personal firewalls to IP spoof. I like it the best. Symantec's is god but is a resource PIG.

I use 3: my router which is a NAT firewall, Zonealarm, and XP's built in. Rock-solid, and clean. I also use AdAware frequently to spyware check, and Norton's antivirus scans and monintors inbound and outbound Outlook traffic on top of it.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The
Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

- He's dead, Jim! You grab his phaser, I'll get his wallet!

a dichotomy of silence - The Debut Smooth Jazz CD from Phil Traynor - now available at www.llarion.com! Click the banner to purchase!

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

To enable the WinXP firewall:

from the Start Menu:

Control Panel>LAN or High Speed Internet>Advanced

(now check the firewall box)

click OK.

once that is done, it will always run in the background - you don't need to do anything.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Thanks Seismic & Phil. I'm learning a lot here. Sounds like you both have very similiar points of view. I will follow!

Drooly - don't have LAN or High Speed in the Control Panel section! LOL

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Here's a handy little proggie too...

HERE....

Works like a charm...

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

so this means your WinXP firewall is not enabled......????

YaaaAAAaayyyyy.....!!!!

I'm gonna go snoop around on your hard drive now......

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! You are all so knowledgeable.

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: WHICH is the BEST FIREWALL around? Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks guys! You are all so knowledgeable.

Here is a woman who knows how to get what she wants...:lol

:bcool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: