MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heavy!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heavy! Reply with quote

I wandered into the village in a bikini top and a pair of shorts and was greeted by lion dancers and crowds of people - hahahahaha The Cantonese Opera sounds echo through the village. hahaha

Here's some of the photos I just took.

This is just off the main street, that huge thing on the right is purposely built every year for the Tin Hau Festival (a water festival) - the opera is happening inside the huge thing:

An old boy busy selling candy - check out his facemask - that's what a lot of people seem to do with them - haha:

There are a lot of sampans over for the day, this one is brightly decorated with flags:

Two young girls fascinated by the windmills:

A cool dude being entrepreneurial and selling BBQ meat in front of the opera:

There were also dragon boat races happening:

I just liked the way these two dragon boaters looked - hahahaha Wonder if they are tall....

My friend Paul, whom I went to school with!!

Now the funniest sign I saw was this:

And if you want SOUND and vision, I have these three AVI files - all around 2.8 Mb:

Just outside the Opera Building

A clip of the opera on stage

Dragon Boats!

|Blah Blah|Talk Soup|Thinking Out Loud|thewireweb
|

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heav Reply with quote

Great Pics chris....:)

Paul

codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60>

BUSINESS AS USUAL .com BUSINESS AS USUAL. moonfruit BUSINESS AS USUAL mp3.com

BUSINESS AS USUAL @ ampcast GET ME MUSIC.com

Steve Iannetti
GweiLo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heav Reply with quote

Very Colorful over there, innit ? hahahaha

So, what's the Tin Hau Festival all about ?

Steve Iannetti

size="1"> mp3.com : Artistlaunch : 1Sound : Javamusic :My IX Page : href="http://www.zizzors.com">Official Web Site
href="http://www.carwreckrecords.com">Car Wreck Records : FreeAudioPlayer : IndieLaunch : MP3 Australia : CDbaby

KristinaBode

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heav Reply with quote

yes very colorful - are these pictures taken by a digital camera?

The quality of the pics are so clear.

GEMINI

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heav Reply with quote

Tin Hau - always held on the third moon of the year - Day 23 - which this year fell yesterday (April 24). It's a festival for fishermen and all those who owe their livelihood to the sea.

Tin Hau is the Goddess of the Sea.

Tin Hau's birthday is celebrated to bring safety, security, fine weather and full nets during the coming year. Seafarers adorn with boats with colourful ribbons praising the goddess for past protection and praying for future luck. Boats are loaded with symbols of devotion, with offerings to the goddess.

So on the coast of China, Taiwan and outlying islands of HK, her birthday is celebrated. It's not a public holiday or anything. It's the most important festival on the island I live on, that's for sure. We still have fishermen ;)

|

Steve Iannetti
GweiLo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heav Reply with quote

Oh, I see. It's some kind of pagan ritual.:lol

Steve Iannetti

size="1"> mp3.com : Artistlaunch : 1Sound : Javamusic :My IX Page : href="http://www.zizzors.com">Official Web Site
href="http://www.carwreckrecords.com">Car Wreck Records : FreeAudioPlayer : IndieLaunch : MP3 Australia : CDbaby

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgot it was Tin Hau Festival on my island!! Photo-heav Reply with quote

Kristina - yes it's a digital camera I have. I love being able to take photos and see the results instantly. wheeeeeeeeeee

STEVE!! yeah it's a Pagan festival! hahahhaha :banana

|

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: