MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Show us where you live...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Cepheus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Post some images of your hometown. Here's a webcam view of downtown Columbus :

Here's a webcam view of Ohio Stadium, just about a ten minute walk from my house :

Here's a cool nighttime shot of Columbus I found on the city's website :

Jake :)

Yj2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

if you`re on this thread, show him a picture of Frankfurt City/Downtown!!!

:) :) :)

Sebastian

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Columbus looks like a busy city :)

Frankfurt, where Yj2 and I live, has two very different faces......

:)

MIKE

Jake Cepheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Frankfurt looks like a nice place. A friend of mine from high school went to Germany after college to work in investment banking on the DAX (that's in Frankfurt, isn't it?) I haven't talked to him in years, but his brother told me he loves it there. :) The United Nations says Frankfurt and Columbus are almost exactly the same size. That's just looking strictly inside the city limits, though, not the surrounding metropolitan area. Here's the UN's figures:

Frankfurt am Main (city proper) : population 652,412

Columbus (city proper) : population 635,913

Columbus (metropolitan area) : population 1,422,875

The UN doesn't have Frankfurt's metropolitan population, but some other websites I saw said it was over three million, so that would be about twice the size of the Columbus metro area. :) Los Angeles is the biggest city I have ever been to, the UN says the metro area there has a population of 15,302,275. I really like Los Angeles, it's a nice place. :) Here's the page where I'm getting the numbers, if anyone wants to have a look:

United Nations Statistics Division Cities Population Database

I think the figures are a little bit old (from 1995-98, I think), but it still seems like a pretty useful page. Maybe they will update it with the next U.S. census (I think that will be in 2005).

Jake Cepheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Mike I almost forgot, just south of downtown Columbus, there is a district of the city called German Village. It is really nice, everybody wants to live there because it is nice and quiet, but also close to downtown. Here is a link with information about German Village in Columbus:

History of German Village

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

OH I must get some good pics of Hong Kong to post - I'll take some today :)

Great pics of both Columbus & Frankfurt.

Mike - I don't recognise that third photo of that building :)

Chris

| Jane Eliz | Blah Blah | Song of the Week
|

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Jake!!! Thanks for the info about the germans in Columbus!!! :eek

Very interesting.... also this:

Quote:
Though the "South End" retained its German character through the turn of the century, younger generations of assimilated German-Americans gradually began to move away. When World War I started in 1914, anti-German prejudice reappeared, even though most local German-Americans supported the Allied cause. After the United States entered the war in 1917, the hostility against them increased. German street names were changed, and Schiller Park became Washington Park (it reverted to Schiller in 1932). The teaching of German in schools was banned, and German textbooks were destroyed.

In 1919, continued anti-German sentiment played a part in the passage of Volstead Act, outlawing the production and consumption of alcoholic beverages. The closing of the local breweries contributed to the decline of the South Columbus community.

BUT........!!!

Quote:
Most local German-Americans served in the American armed forces in World War I. Among their number was Captain Eddie Rickenbacker, America's leading air ace........

Chris :) The third picture shows the Old Opera in the city center. We drove by 2 times when you were here... but the perspective from the street is a bit different :) )

MIKE

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Show us where you live... Reply with quote

Oh we drove by TWO times? ROFL I should have been paying more attention - hahahahahhaha - I vaguely remember some building like that.... I can remember a lot of details about your car though - so is that good? Plus I remember we saw the 'Phaeton'!!!!! :banana :party

|

Jeff Stoll 2004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: But Canton's boring Reply with quote

Canton ,Ohio is boring. By the way how do you post photos here?

mikeburn and friends

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: But Canton's boring Reply with quote

You use this simple code:

[image]http://www.MyServer.com/MyImage.jpg[/image]

MIKE

Netjams

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: San Antonio, Texas Reply with quote

Getting pics

Zomala for Dixie!

Edited by: Netjams  at: 7/14/02 5:05:20 pm
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: San Antonio, Texas Reply with quote

JEFF! But I've never seen Canton, Ohio?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

Netjams - patiently waiting :)

|

Jeff Stoll 2004

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Re; Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks.

Chris, I guess I'll have to post some. My scanner broke. Guess I'll have to take some digtal photos just for you. :)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Re; Reply with quote

THANK YOU JEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Chris

|

Jeff Stoll 2004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Re; Reply with quote

Chrissssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! You're welcome.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: