MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia victims
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybernetic Organism68

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

Damn, what a terrible thing...

And right at christmas...

axella

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

It only took a minute to donate to the Red Cross on-line. At least I feel like I've done something, for what little my drop in the ocean is worth.

Can you believe the quake was felt in parts of Australia, too??? Not here on the east side, but in the west.

It was a shock to hear the revised death toll of 20,000. And it will only go up.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

A co-worker of mine who spent his holidays in Phuket/Thailand, which was entirely destroyed yesterday, just called and reports crazy scenes from the airport where people are fighting to get one seat in one of the planes the German government sent.

I still heard nothing from a singer I know and work with who also stayed in a hotel in Phuket (christmas and new year entertainment/contract).

I'm more and more shocked about the incredible power of this earthquake. It was the strongest earthquake on Earth since 1964 and tied a 1952 quake in Kamchatka, Russia as the fourth strongest since such measurements began in 1899.

Quote:
Maldives high commissioner Hassan Sobir told CNN:

"The entire Maldives, I think, for a moment disappeared from the planet Earth," he said. "Some islands may have completely disappeared, we don't know yet. But all the islands have been affected."

We are talking 1,190 islands here!!!!!!!! :ohno

Quote:
"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

:ohno :ohno :ohno

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

Several times I spent wonderful holidays on the Seychelles Islands (located a few hundred kilometers east of the east-African coast - Kenia), around 6,000 kilometers away from the quake center. Today I have to read this surreal statement of a place I only know as paradise......

Quote:
Effects of Indian Ocean earthquake in Seychelles - 27.12.04

Seychelles appeals for international assistance

The President of Seychelles Mr. James Michel has officially appealed for international aid following substantial damages caused by tidal surges which hit the islands during the day, on Sunday.

European media meanwhile speak of nearly 1,000 deaths in Somalia and Kenia too!!!!! Dozens of villages on the coastlines of these countries were struck hard or completely disappeared! Again.... 6,000 kilometers away from the epi-center of the quake and obviously "forgotten" in yesterday's turmoil..............

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

This is a terrible tragedy that will effect these poor people for a long time. There will be a great need for medicine, fresh water and all sorts of assistance. And, as Chris said, for those who are inclined to a prayer, that's always a good idea.

The earth has been very active recently - just a few days before this quake, another huge one occured in the Antartic waters near New Zealand, but it did little damage

And last year, at Christmas, there was the horrible quake that destroyed that entire old Irianian city, I believe 20-30 thousand people lost their lives in that one.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

From my German perspective it looks, that Thai authorities at least try to downplay the death toll.

Obviously more than 800 bodies have been found near Phuket tonight, which are believed to belong to a destroyed Sofitel-complex which hosted mainly only German tourists and was totally washed away.

The brother incl. wife of the bass player of my band are reported missing in Phuket, while German authorities notified him that their little daughter was found and has been rescued.

Does anybody know any other hotline Numbers in Thailand than

+66-2643-5262 or +66-2643-5000??????????????????

Any website where you can transmit pictures of relatives?

Death toll overall has risen to more than 40,000 and the Andaman and Nicobar islands south-east of India report now 3,000 deaths as well and 30,000 people missing, which is the main portion of the entire population.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

Chris!

Regarding your missing friend/s in Phuket, the 'other' Chris from Aquarian Age found out a patients list of deceased and injured in the Phuket Hospital (and other hospitals) in Thailand:

203.150.224.71/vachiraphuketgoth/26122547/listall.html

Edited by: MIKE BURN  at: 12/28/04 13:39
MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

BBC just reports, that additionally, to the existing death toll number (55,000 meanwhile), over 25,000 people are believed dead in the totally destroyed capitol Banda Aceh of the Indian province Aceh!

WHAT a catastrophe!

(Aceh's provincial ex-capitol, Banda Aceh)

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

Mike, you've tried checking with the German Embassy - Thailand or the Thai Embassy in Germany?

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

This article was found by Colonel Lee of Realitybb: :ohno

Quake rattled Earth orbit, changed map of Asia: US geophysicist

Quote:
An earthquake that unleashed deadly tidal waves on Asia was so powerful it made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently altered the regional map, US geophysicists said.

The 9.0-magnitude temblor that struck 250 kilometers (155 miles) southeast of Sumatra island Sunday may have moved small islands as much as 20 meters (66 feet), according to one expert.

"That earthquake has changed the map," US Geological Survey expert Ken Hudnut told AFP.

"Based on seismic modeling, some of the smaller islands off the southwest coast of Sumatra may have moved to the southwest by about 20 meters. That is a lot of slip."

The northwestern tip of the Indonesian territory of Sumatra may also have shifted to the southwest by around 36 meters (120 feet), Hudnut said.

In addition, the energy released as the two sides of the undersea fault slipped against each other made the Earth wobble on its axis, Hudnut said.

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

Ron!

Thanks for caring!

I already had the numbers incl. a new German government hotline. Of course permanently busy, but I was able to

drop at least the names of the missing persons and got

a mail address to send pictures of the missing.

But thanks again for posting your information!

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

You're welcome, Mike. I suppose many countries have hotlines to get information about citizens who were caught in the tidal wave disaster. (In the US the fon # is 1-888-407-4747)

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

I'm still numb from all this. I've no idea if my friends on Phi Phi are dead or alive. I scrolled through a bunch of photos of dead bloated people and it was horrible. How can one recognise anyone?

The only positive thing I can do (apart from donating money to Red Cross & Care International) is I'm talking to people about organising a concert to get more funds to donate.

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup | Underground HK |

AQUARIAN AGE
Austrian Peacekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

More lists:

Thaigov. List(userID: user, Password: password)

Victims listed by country

www.phuketitcity.com/

Edited by: AQUARIAN AGE  at: 12/28/04 16:49
trakmasteruk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Prayers 4 the Earthquake & Tidal Wave S.E. Asia vict Reply with quote

A very devastating earthquake...I hope your friends are ok bb..

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talki...130565.stm

Edited by: trakmasteruk  at: 12/28/04 18:56
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: