MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I want to upgrade from my little Roland to a nice size amp (not too big as I don't want to break my back moving it around a room) I want it to have clean and distorted/heavy sounds. I like Marshalls and Fender amps for different reasons... What about Peavey? Are they good amps? They are more reasonable in price. Budget? Around US$500.

Thank you to all the great guitarists on this board for any advice you could give me. :nw

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

For your sound/style?

I would definitely recommend a small tube Marshall.

Can't imagine you through a Fender amp.

Mike will have some good suggestions, I'm sure..

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Small tube Marshall? Mmmm sounds sexy!! :banana

|Talk Soup |

Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

You can get this for 400-500 US dollars:

CLASSIC 30

I'm sure it will be trashed thoroughly by the resident experts, but here is a review for you:

CLASSIC 30 REVIEW

AND THIS MAY INTEREST YOU....

For what it's worth...hope you get what ya want!!

Edited by: Seismic Anamoly  at: 6/27/04 9:56
droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Quote:
Small tube Marshall? Mmmm sounds sexy!!

Ha. Get your mind out of the gutter, ya Perv.....:b

Small tube Marshalls can sound really fat.

ha.

Bed-time now. 3:30 a.m. here. Did an exhausting (but completely exhilarating) gig tonight..

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by: droolymutt  at: 6/27/04 9:53
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

SEISMIC!! Wow! The Peavey 30 sounds FANTASTIC!! Thank you! I'm beginning to get sold on the idea of a Peavey~! Wooooooooohoooooooooo :bday

|Talk Soup |

ED1G
PIGGY MOONRUST

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

you saved me a question Chris.... Iam looking for one to!! :)

great pics drooly!!! :)

Paul

NEW : RHYTHM CALLED LOVE Video

Down And Dirty Video : BITCH Video : LOOK AT ME Video

Business As Usual . com

Soundclick

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Yes! Great pics Drooly!! :banana

|Talk Soup |

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

OK, chris. I could write a mile-long post on this one. (YES!!!...another tube-amp convert!) If you don't want to break your back lugging it around, I guess you should stick with a combo. (Amp and speakers together in one box...not seperate.) And seeing as you are, indeed, a woman...it would probably be a good idea to keep it a small combo. Some combos can break your back just as easy as a head/cab set-up!

I would recommend a Fender Deluxe. Get an old Silver-Face one from the late 60's or early/mid 70's. The Black-Face amps are better, but would set you back at least $1500 for a good one. You can find a Silver-Face for under a grand. These amps have two channels...one with reverb! Both channels are clean, but you can use an A/B box to switch between the two channels and put a pedal in front of one of them to get all the dirt you want! Be sure to take it to a qualified tech for a tune-up if/when you get it. Another cool thing is that it's an investment. As long as you don't have it modified, you'll be able to sell it for more than you bought it for!

I generally don't like Peavey, but the Classic 30 is an exception...problem is it is a one-trick pony from my perspective. I don't like the clean tone much on it...but the distortion is...well...classic. That's just my personal opinion.

To be honest, if you REALLY want to know something about amps, go here:

vintageamps.com/PlexiPala...matebb.cgi

The collective info on this board and friendly attitude towards new members is outstanding. Couple things I should mention about the board is that I can count the number of women who post there on one hand...so expect a lot of attention (not always a bad thing). The other thing is that this board IS moderated by some people who won't put up with flame wars...so if a person can't keep it nice, just don't go there. I've posted there for several years (under the same name)...but this is the first time I thought of mentioning it. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Wow Dreamtone7! That's awesome suggestions! And what a cool link! I WILL check out this site. And explore my options! Who knows maybe first I'll get one amp this year and another amp next year. One of my plans now is to get together a rehearsal room (with good gear) for my bands to rehearse AND for me to hire out to other bands. Thanks! :banana

|Talk Soup |

MIKE BURN
Generally Crazy Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Oh well, for that money it is rather hard to get a cool tube amp I fear.... as an example, the absolutely recommendable, fine and very small Hughes&Kettner 25W (!) tube head is around $ 2,000 without any speakers....

So...... considering that you play a Fender Stratocaster and knowing your music style I recommend staying away from transistor or hybrid amplifiers.

If you want to have a loud and very versatile combo-amplifier which sounds very loud clean but also offers very brilliant distortion I would recommend checking a VOX AD60-VT modeling amp, 60W/1x12" speaker, around 700 dollars. I heard and played this one and itis far superior to the rather artificial sound of the Line6 modeling amps.

It is very light for the power with 19 kilograms. A real tube amp of the same size would be around 30 to 40 kilograms.

In the moment there is some occasion available from Hughes&Kettner, the Edition Tube 20th Anniversary.

Full tube (EL34), 20W/1x12" speaker. Giant sound, but

not too loud of course with 20W for clean sounds.

On the other hand a full tube amp of very high quality with a weight of only 16 kilograms. If mic' the amp live, you should have no problems but it is definitely too small for playing it alone from the stage. Price: 600 to 900 dollars (availability problem).

A FENDER Hot-Rod-DeVille-212 (full tube 60W/6L6/2x12") would be probably the best for your sound, very loud, versatile and is also looking very good :) and rather light with 25 kilograms, however it is $ 1,000 at least.

A good amplifier costs a lot of bucks, the selection above is the lowest of the lowest price scale while still offering very good tones at minimum weight.

MIKE

10 free song uploads||1 free video upload

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Hmmm Mike! Some cool amps there! I like the sound of the VOX amp.

I guess I must go to the guitar shop and play a Fender Strat through all the amps and decide which one sounds the best. The first amp I need to buy must be light weight but the future ones can be more solid and sturdy. This is SO EXCITING!! I love making MUSIC!! WOoooooooohoooooooo Thank you so much to everyone who's posted on this thread!

|Talk Soup |

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

One more recommendation chris...don't just play any Strat through amps that you're thinking about buying. Take YOUR Strat with you when you go. That way, the guess-work is eliminated, and you'll know exactly what it's going to sound like.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Thanks Drooly! I understand. Thanks Dreamtone7 - that's very wise!! :banana

|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to get a GUITAR AMP! Any suggestions? Reply with quote

Yep...

A good tube amp is expensive...

But playing loud through a good tube amp with good tone can actually improve your "playing".

You hear the nuances, become more confident, less afraid to "let loose", and thus your actual playing improves....

Edited by: droolymutt  at: 6/27/04 13:41
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: