MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

joined Taxi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

Thanks for that explanation Von. It sounds like a publishing service? They listen to and categorise your song then when the appropriate request comes in that matches your song - they submit it.

And what if the producer wants to use the song, what % does TAXI take?

|Blah Blah|Thinking Out Loud|Jane Eliz|
|Talk Soup |

RonOnGuitar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

Quote:
shandi has been through the door so she knows what it is like

Just seconding NetJam's key observation there!! :D

ONOFFON
All the mystery is taken as fact

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

Chris -

A little clarification - they don't categorize your songs, they ask for specific genres - like, 'Instrumental Jazz like Coltrane and Getz'. Then, if you have a song that you think fits that category, you submit it. Then, they listen to it and decide if they agree that it fits the category and is of appropriate quality to forward to the producer. You can submit the same song to a hundred different listings if it fits what they're asking for.

As far as percentage, TAXI gets nothing more than the membership and submission fees they charge to be a part of their service.

Pretty fair deal - if you get forwarded and placed. One deal can more than pay for the year's service fees.

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

Thanks Van! Let me see if I understand correctly (thanks for your patience!)

1. The producer wants a song (for what we don't know) asks TAXI to submit all appropriate songs (e.g. a jazzy love song). 2. TAXI advertises a producer wanting a jazzy love song.

3. People like yourself and Shandi submit their songs that they think fit this requirement.

4. TAXI listen to the songs and if it's appropriate, submit it to the producer.

5. If the producer likes the song, then what?

Van, have you actually had a song in a 'deal' through TAXI, what sort of deal was that?

|Talk Soup |

ONOFFON

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

5. If the producer likes the song, then what?

Then, the producer will contact the artist directly and negotiate some kind of deal. It might be a licensing fee upfront. It might be a licensing fee and a percentage of publishing. They might attempt a complete buy out of a song. I imagine there are many different possibilities.

As far as our songs, I'm fairly new at this too, and we've had our first 'forward' in mid June. So far, no contact. Sometimes, music publishers are just building a library of certain kinds of tunes that they will keep to refer to when they have a need.

I'll also keep you posted as things develop.

Cheers!

Von

:fg

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining that Von. It sounds like TAXI are operating very much like a music publisher!!

Charging the songwriters to submit songs, that's really not the done thing in the publishing business.

I wonder where their motivation is, in placing your songs? You already said, they only make money for TAXI subscriptions and song reviews!

I just wonder about these types of services. I'm solely speaking from a publisher's perspective here.

|Talk Soup |

ONOFFON

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: joined Taxi Reply with quote

Yeah Chris - this is the first music service of any kind I've paid upfront for. I would only suggest this service to someone who's VERY confident they will get some kind of placement.

The only reason I went for it is because of our recent success in having FOX Sports picking up one of our songs. While it didn't happen through TAXI, it still demonstrated to me that if we can get more of our music to more of the people that actually place music, then we have a shot at more success.

We'll see - if nothing happens over the term of the first year, I'm sure I won't sign up for a second.

:dunno

Von

shandi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Taxi "pay to play" Reply with quote

I feel the same way Ron - thanks for letting me know about the money back thing everybody "I did not know that" nor see that when i joined! I decided to take the risk because, I am basicly out of the loop now, living in Eugene. It is a money making racket for Taxi for sure and I don't know how many of the submissions are real. The music Library stuff is very "iffy". Basicly, they just include your song in thier library for free and contact you when and if and after they find a place to place your song. in the "old days" a licensing library would at least pay you something to have the right to show your song. So once again, supply and demand - there are so many independant writers and producers of music now that we have to" pay to play.":blab

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Taxi "pay to play" Reply with quote

Well I'm glad Shandi & Von are well aware of what Taxi are doing. I always feel a little sad about businesses that prey on the vulnerabilities of musicians. It's all in the attitude guys - it's all in what you believe in! :banana

|Talk Soup |

ONOFFON

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Taxi "pay to play" Reply with quote

Chris -

I just wanted to let you know, in a casual BB conversation with a TAXI regular, he just told me that, after about two years from his first 'forward', he signed his first deal with a company. He says he is now over 50K in earnings from deals TAXI put him in touch with.

Now, in their promo newsletters, they talk about the biggest and best examples, like the guy who went to #3 with a song he wrote for a major recording star, and a recent female artist that signed a $300,000 record deal, but those are few and far between.

I think the guy on the boards is a more realistic assessment of what you can expect if you work hard and produce a solid product.

I am realistically optimistic about our chances... :box

bbchris
Princess Of Hongkong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Taxi "pay to play" Reply with quote

I do think ONOFFON have a fighting chance btw :kiss

|Talk Soup |

droolymutt
No Underblurb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Taxi "pay to play" Reply with quote

I still have mixed feelings about TAXI.....

But I guess it comes down to the quality of the product....

If your Music really moves the people, maybe you have a chance....

The "image" stuff bores the crap outta me.

Move me with heartfelt Music, and I'll buy your CD.

But it all comes down to the emotional pull of your Music, I think.....

The "marketing" stuff gets lame real fast.....

Your Music has to be something that makes the listener's World a better place, while it plays in the background.....

Try to "wow" me with looks, sex, or other nonsensical crap, and I'll just say "Go F*ck yourself, Britney"

Did I mention that I can be swayed by Hot Babes?

No?

Good.

However, I must admit that hot babes sway me...

( I feel so guilty......)

:)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: